Apparently I'm "selling" my rescue chin and Mira's kits

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ReneeM

So frustrated. I had someone who was interested in adopting Mira's two boys until I asked for an adoption fee. Then they backed out. Someone I know was telling me they knew this person would give them a good home, while I believe them I feel safer asking an adoption fee. They then offhandedly said " oh you got the chins to sell them". I laughed at them. I wasn't even sure Mira was pregnant when I brought her home. If I had gotten them to sell them, shouldn't I be expecting a profit? I just thought it funny, and told them about the purchases I had to make to ensure the safety of the kits, as well as toys and other unexpected supplies after their birth. And supplies for Moshi. Most of which will be going with him to a new home. I have someone interested in Moshi coming to visit him this week. I asked a $50 adoption fee. He will go to a new home with well over $50 worth of supplies. Im failing to see how I'm going to profit :p I've spent $400-500 on these chins in the past two weeks, as taking them in they became my responsibility. I was asking $80 for both kits when they are old enough to be adopted out. I told them from the beginning I was asking an adoption fee for the kits.

Last edited:
I think it is fair for you to ask for adoption fee. I do not know the whole story, but from what i read, it sounds like it is better off to wait for someone else to adopt the kits. What your guts tell you? :)

If they arent interested in paying a $50 dollar adoption fee, what are they going to do when the bills add up with hay, food, toys, and God forbid a vet bill? I think this is a great example of how a simple adoption fee will weed out the people who arent prepared for the financial responsibility of a chin

Yeah, don't let it bother you. The person who will provide your chinchilla with a loving and safe home won't have a problem paying the adoption fee! I paid $50 adoption fee for Chichi and another $50 for her cage! I thought it was very fair.

Aren't adoption fees normal for just about any pet? I know you some times see puppies and kittens "free to a god home" in the newspaper/craigslist, but with animals that come with cages and supplies, or any shelter pet, you pay should a reasonable fee. Do they not realize that that initial fee is just the tip of the iceburg for what these animals will cost during their long lifespan? Some people are ridiculous.

I think you have every right to charge an adoption fee....and ur adoption fee is very reasonable....Ive been following your story about the chins and any chin owner knows the costs that go into chins !!!! people also charge adoption fees to ensure animals are not going to be other "pets " food ive seen on craigslist ect....true we dont know what will happen to any pet we leave/adopt out but sometimes a small adoption fee deters those who are not dedicated to pets or want to do stupid things.....I would definitely pay a adoption fee if I ever get another chin knowing what goes into them work....your time and toys!!!! ( did I mention toys LOL I buy mine toys every week)

people will always complain when there is a fee involved, and your fee is very reasonable. Obviously the right people for the pet won't complain about the fees.

Just be sure to let the next person know about the fee up front. The right person will be happy to pay that small fee.

Your adoption fee is very reasonable. Some people get ridiculous with fees and want to re-home them for what they paid for. They will say small re-homing fee but then you ask how much and they say something like 150-200 dollars to me that isn't a small fee. When I think of a small adoption fee, i think 50 dollars. Like everyone else said, the right person wont mind the small adoption fee for the love of a chinchilla.

Don't let it bother you, people always want something for nothing.

But, as you said, when you let them know about the adoption fee -- I don't know how you're advertising them, but I would have right in the ad that there's an adoption fee of whatever. If you don't post an adoption fee, people tend to think pets are either free or $10 and come with everything under the sun. At least with posting what it is, you'll weed out the ones who think that's too much to pay (which it isn't, you're asking totally reasonable adoption fees).

We've been told a million times that we must be rolling in the dough as a rescue, because for the most part, we get in rescues without having to pay for them and then adopt them out for an adoption fee. People seem to have this mindset that we get in a pet and the next day, have it up for adoption. We don't - they're here for at least 30 days, for the most part, much longer, and we have to feed and dust and clean their cages and all of that for the entire time they're here. If they have vet bills, that amount is even higher. Like you said, you've spent a small fortune on these chins, and with chins, you never recoup what you've spent. Heck, if I charged adoption fees based on what I spend on chins, we'd never adopt out a single chin cause they'd all be in the hundreds of dollars!

Your fees are fine, don't let anyone tell you they're not. The good homes won't even question paying the fees you're asking cause they are totally reasonable.

I was actually trying to adopt the kits by word of mouth. Moshi I actually posted online, with his adoption fee in the post. A wonderful person emailed me and we have been in touch for a few days. They are coming to meet Moshi Friday. Moshi has tons of toys I have bought for him, all going with him. In my head his adoption fee is spent. On chin supplies :p I don't regret taking Moshi in, but I wouldn't be in the position to do it again. He was treated like my own chins, and he is spoiled rotten. I actually think he goes through more supplies than my two boys combined!

I admire all of the work rescues do, and you guys deserve so much credit. Even taking in just one chin has been an eye opening experience. Even one extra chin is so much work, and expense. The little guy is worth it though :)

Yeah, w/o reading the WHOLE thread...don't let it bother you ;) I've seen rescues be called "flippers" because they "get chins for free" and then want an "adoption fee" What a joke! Anyone who's ever took on a rescue knows what's involved and it is generally less than profitable...much...much less!

Yeah, don't let it bother you! I am totally agreeing with everything being said. You want to make sure they are going to a good home, 50$ is more than a ok price. I was willing to pay 100 for a rescue and thought, even that was a fair price. If they don't want to spend money at all, how will they provide food, cage, vet bills etc. An acquaintance at a pet store told me once, that some people might also are looking for free food for their snakes, because they are to cheap to pay for it. Not saying this was anywhere close to it, but they should understand that a small fee is more than reasonable. Hope you will find the perfect home.

i think unless you truly know the person and the home the chin will be going to that it is absolutely justifiable. i also think that without an adoption fee, the chin becomes more "disposable" in the wrong hands. after all......why would they pay 200 in vet fees when they can just can another free chin. good for you for standing up for what you believe!

$50 is NOTHING for a chin! Haha, amiright?! Like other people on here have said, if someone isnt willing to pay a REASONABLE fee for an animal, then clearly they arent going to be willing to pay the necessary "fees" to take care of it.

I don't think any animal should be given away for free, especially to a stranger.
It disgusts me how everyone wants everything for free nowadays. And sure, getting things for free is nice, but there are definitely things I have NO problem paying for.
For example, I just bought a new mosaic chin for $100 and while the guy said that the price could be negotiable depending on the home he was going to, I didn't even bother trying to lower the price because $100 IS A REASONABLE PRICE!! And I would want someone to show me that same respect.
Sure saving money is nice, but when it comes to animals, if I feel the price is reasonable, then I see no need to haggle. And the majority of the time, the "rehoming fee" is just going to go towards food/supplies for the other animals a person owns. Maybe that's just me?

you could always say 'ok if you don't want to pay the $50 adoption fee - how about you pay me what it cost me to take care of him and the rest of the rescues'

I'm with Michelle. "Free" animals are undervalued and thought of as disposable. :(
Don't give them away for nothing, unless you are 100% positive about the new owner, and it's someone you know REALLY well, and you will keep in touch with them in the future.

Back