Anyone in Harrisburg? Or close?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
B

blacksettingsun

I'm looking for someone who lives in harrisburg, PA or knows the area well. I'm starting to look at housing there in case I end up at Widener for law school, and I don't really know enough about neighborhoods to know if I'm looking in a decent part of time. I also need to go out and visit the campus soon so any advice would be great :)

Thanks!

Widener itself is in a VERY nasty part of the town. It was one of the colleges we considered for my daughter and that was one of the reasons for our decision to not send her there.

Call the local police department non-emergency number and ask them for suggestions for areas that are safer for single women. If they won't suggest areas to live, ask for the crime stats for specific areas.

Congrats on getting in! Widener is about 20 minutes from my parents. I don't know Harrisburg itself extremely well, but Enola is a pretty nice area about 15 minutes from there, Camp Hill area is wonderful and about 20 minutes away, Linglestown is about 10 minutes (I'm not as familiar with it, though), and of course there is Hershey about 25 minutes away but it is a little more expensive since it's a tourist area. But I'm sure your realtor will be able to help you.

If you are going to be renting I do suggest using apartment review sites and check out the comments. I also wouldn't necessarily go with the cheapest place you could find because that is usually not the good part of town. Mechanicsburg is the next city over and I think more of it is safer than Harrisburg, but it can be quite pricey. Harrisburg does have a lot of good night life I am told though, just never had a chance to check it out. My friend lived there for a bit. Her neighborhood wasn't too bad I'll have to ask her what it was called.

Thanks guys :) I'm still waiting to hear from the other schools, but Widener sent me some information on apartments in the area, and some of them are pet-friendly, so I'm gonna check those out and see what places will let me have at least Stewart and Georgie. My chinchillas might end up staying at my parent's house for the duration of law school if I can't find a place to let me have all of my animals. But we'll see :) Thanks for the suggestions!

I work in Harrisburg and live about 15 minutes outside of there, I'm not exactly sure where the school is, but I would say don't live downtown, but Colonial Park area is nice. It depends if you don't mind driving 10-15 minutes, there are alot of nice towns right outside of Harrisburg.

Back