any suggestions for rabbit cages?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chinchillalover0927

to many chin chips??
I am in the process of getting a lionhead rabbit, or possibly a pair of female lionheads. I have fallen in love with how adorable they are. I am just curious if anyone has any great suggestions for a rabbit cage? I know rabbits are different than chinchillas but I dont much about them. I am going to start looking more into them but wanted to start at step one with a cage. So please post away with some ideas. Im looking to spend around $50 for a cage.

THANKS!

The bigger the better, IMO. I hate seeing these hugs rabbits in a tiny cage.

I don't remember how much the supplies cost, but I built a really nice C&C Cage for our rabbits (who have now passed on). It took a few hours to assemble it but it was so worth it. They had lots of room and different levels and were much happier in that cage than in any other cage we had previously.

Attachments

• 015.JPG
    015.JPG
    41.2 KB · Views: 115
i do like those cages but I dont have the room for them. The cage will be going in the living room so that they are not living around the chinchillas, who are in my room.

So i need a decently sized cage but nothing to over the top :) I think lionheads are on the smaller size also . So maybe that helps

Miss Hoppy was very happy with her Ferret Nation 2-level cage. She was a house bunny, but when she was a baby, and then when she broke her leg, she was confined to the cage most of the day, and it was fine. She was a dwarf mix, probably with Rex, so was 3-4 at most, if you want a size comparison. We made "stairs" to it out of a couple plastic containers, and it was great.

Whatever cage you get, it will have to be ferret nation sizeish to be good. Rabbits are much clumsier and larger than chins, but with all of their energy. And it will have to be pretty sturdy as well.

if you can find a Precision kitty condo cage, they are the same size/dimension as a ferret nation (roughly), and are fairly sturdy as well as come with an easy to clean plastic base. one of my chinny boys is in one and i really like it! although i did modify it with a wood base instead of using the plastic.

Whatever cage you get, it will have to be ferret nation sizeish to be good. Rabbits are much clumsier and larger than chins, but with all of their energy. And it will have to be pretty sturdy as well.

Agreed. Rabbits need room, so those small "rabbit" cages they sell at the pet store aren't near large enough for them. Many rabbits aren't willing to go as high since they are ground dwellers, so I recommend a larger floor cage like the C&C. I used the ferret playpen for a cage when we had a rabbit come into the rescue. We used 4 panels long and 1 panel wide. From there we used the extra two panels for the roof of the cage. Zip ties were our friend. :) She was on a tile floor so we just put fleece on the floor (in case she peed outside the litter box), then placed the "cage" on top so the fleece wouldn't move around. It seemed like she really enjoyed the setup and it gave her a lot of room to run back and forth while still giving ample room for her printer paper box (she used it as a sleeping house) and her litter box which were the big items in there.

Back