Another Question List

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zahrii

1. In March, I'm having construction happen which makes me have to move out of my house for a max of 3 months. My two chins will be boarded for that amount of time. Since their wheel is bulky, and I'd like to limit as much stuff I have to transport back and forth as possible, could they be okay without a wheel temporarily? They will also be boarded for about 10 days in July. For those amounts of time, should I be aware of any behavior from them, like them not being as friendly toward me?
  2. Can they go without fresh sticks for a few days, but still have sticks in their cage from past days? I'm not sure when I can order more sticks, and they're starting run low.
  3. Is there any specific questions I should ask/stuff to look out for when checking out the boarding facility?

1. They will be fine without a wheel, they might be mad about it, but will be fine. I think of wheels like a kid having a swing set, they are nice and kids love them, but they aren't actually required. As far as leaving them for months, they will likely be mad at you and may even need to do some rebuilding of your bond when you get them back. They are kind of like cats in that respect though, some are angry you were gone, others are overjoyed to see you again, so it depends on your chins.

2. They can go without fresh sticks, so long as they at least still have chew toys in the cage at all times.

3. Not many places actually board exotics, so keep that in mind (most often it's just vets offices or private individuals). I would make sure they understand the environmental requirements of a chin, that they need low temp and humidly, so AC is required. I would also make sure they will be housed in their own room/area away from other animals that could possibly hurt them or make them sick. Also find out how much if any hands on experience they have with chins. Do they know what kinds of things to watch for? Do they have an exotic vet they use for emergencies (if not a vet themselves)? Also will they be letting the chins out to play or will they be kept in the cage the whole time? If let out what kind of set up do they have? is the area shared with other animals? if so do they clean/disinfect the area between animals.

Some other things that can be nice that I've seen for cat and dog boarding places are things like live video feed (so you can check on your chin anytime you want) and/or daily check ins/updates either text, e-mail, video chat, or phone call. Also will you be able to visit them at all in the boarding place? that can help put your mind at ease that they are ok.

3. Not many places actually board exotics, so keep that in mind (most often it's just vets offices or private individuals). I would make sure they understand the environmental requirements of a chin, that they need low temp and humidly, so AC is required. I would also make sure they will be housed in their own room/area away from other animals that could possibly hurt them or make them sick. Also find out how much if any hands on experience they have with chins. Do they know what kinds of things to watch for? Do they have an exotic vet they use for emergencies (if not a vet themselves)? Also will they be letting the chins out to play or will they be kept in the cage the whole time? If let out what kind of set up do they have? is the area shared with other animals? if so do they clean/disinfect the area between animals.

Some other things that can be nice that I've seen for cat and dog boarding places are things like live video feed (so you can check on your chin anytime you want) and/or daily check ins/updates either text, e-mail, video chat, or phone call. Also will you be able to visit them at all in the boarding place? that can help put your mind at ease that they are ok.
The boarding place is actually their vet as well, and their vet is a retired chinchilla breeder, so they're in good hands with environmental stuff. I think we'll be an hour away maximum, so I'll probably visit them frequently. I'll still ask the questions you recommended, and I'll be sure to check out the area where they'd be in. If worse comes to worse, I've found at least two exotic boarders an hour or so away.

Back