Another pet

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chinmin

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Moderatr
If you are to add another pet, what would it be?

I've already decided that I'm getting a boa constrictor as my next pet. I'm super excited about it. 😁

But I've decided to wait until my youngest current snake is all set up and settled into her permanent adult enclosure, which will probably be 3-6 months from now. I just want to be absolutely certain that I'll have the space and money to properly house another large-ish snake (along with all my other animals), so that's the benchmark I set for myself.

Hey, that's fantastic! If I may ask, what kind of snake do you have now?

Hey, that's fantastic! If I may ask, what kind of snake do you have now?
I actually have two snakes. One is a Kenyan sand boa named Phoebe, who is a full-grown adult already, but it's a small species, she's about 3' long. The other is my juvenile blood python named Mina, who is sort of medium-length (will probably top out around 5' when fully grown), but is a very thick, heavy-bodied python.

I love big snakes, but I'm not really equipped to care for any of the truly giant species, so I figure a blood python (that has the girth of a giant with only a fraction of the length) and a boa constrictor (the species/locality I'm leaning towards will probably top out around 6-7' which is large, but not unmanageable) is more realistic for me.

That's awesome! By chance can you share some pics of your snakes? Only when you get the chance.:)

Certainly! I usually don't share pictures of my snakes or spiders unsolicited, because I know they're not everyone's cup of tea, but I'm always happy to share pictures of my babies. :)

Phoebe the sand boa:

IMG_20220228_205046752_HDR.jpg
IMG_20220103_191500247.jpg

And Mina the blood python:
IMG_20221127_095857520.jpg

IMG_20221127_095913701.jpg

Certainly! I usually don't share pictures of my snakes or spiders unsolicited, because I know they're not everyone's cup of tea, but I'm always happy to share pictures of my babies. :)
Wow, thanks for sharing these nice pics! I'm impressed, they're so beautiful! You must be monitoring temp in their enclosures, right?

Wow, thanks for sharing these nice pics! I'm impressed, they're so beautiful! You must be monitoring temp in their enclosures, right?
Thank you! I think they're gorgeous, but I'm obviously biased. 😂

And yes, their enclosures are heated, and the heating elements are attached to thermostats to ensure it doesn't get too hot or too cold for them. They each have a warm side and a cool side, so they can regulate their body temperatures properly. I also have to watch Mina's humidity levels, since blood pythons are native to the jungles of southeast Asia, where it is MUCH more humid than my home in California. Especially now that we have that dry winter air, I'm having to mist her enclosure a lot more often. Sand boas are native to a much more arid climate in northeastern Africa, so Phoebe's happy so long as she has a nice toasty basking spot, I don't really have to worry too much about humidity with her. Climate control is definitely the most high-maintenance aspect of keeping reptiles.

Yes, they are gorgeous! Can you hold them too?
Yup! They're both very gentle and docile. Though I get the sense that Mina enjoys getting out of her enclosure more than Phoebe. Phoebe tolerates it, but she usually just tries to hide by going up my sleeve or down my shirt. 😂 Sand boas are a fossorial (burrowing) species, so being exposed and up in the air probably feels really unnatural to them.

But Mina likes to explore and hang out with me. She's not always just trying to find a place to hide, she's much more relaxed and curious when I have her out. As a result, I tend to handle Mina more often than Phoebe.

Back