An Update!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zahrii

As some of you may have seen, my chin Buttons had a planned surgery on Monday. Somethings changed, and it was moved to Tuesday. However, today I got amazing news. Somehow Buttons' abscess is gone. The Bumblefoot healed by itself. The vet hasn't seen anything like it before, so we're both shocked. No surgery was needed! The vet didn't make me pay anything too, which was great. I gave him a dust bath while I cushioned the cage (vet said to still do it until 3 weeks for a follow up appointment) and once I put him inside he immediately started sniffing noses with his brother. Then they cuddled in the hut. No issues even for a millisecond, it was so fun to see. Thank you for those who gave me support and advice in the past related to Buttons. :)

But, something happened after I gave him a poplar slice with the bark still on it. He chewed away, but then stopped and started pawing at his mouth hard enough that I could see the inside of his mouth. He did this for a bit and then made small hacking/coughing noise and a small amount of brown liquid spat out. No signs of blood though. I assume it was from the bark? I put the slice away and gave him an apple stick instead, which he had no issues chewing on. His mouth was a little more twitchy than usual while chewing, but that was it. I then checked his teeth (as best as I could, I've never checked chin teeth before) and there wasn't any signs of injury, no blood. Could he just have gotten a splinter or something in his mouth and then got it out by himself? What in the world happened?

That is great that it healed on it's own! Also glad the "vet cooties" didn't cause a problem, you never can tell how they will react or if they even will, lol.

It sounds like he probably got a bit of bark or a splinter stuck in his teeth, but got it out himself. Or he didn't like the taste of the bark, kind of like how you spit something out that tastes gross and try to wipe off your tongue. They can't actually throw up so it was likely just chewed bark and spit from his mouth that he spat out.

That is great that it healed on it's own! Also glad the "vet cooties" didn't cause a problem, you never can tell how they will react or if they even will, lol.

It sounds like he probably got a bit of bark or a splinter stuck in his teeth, but got it out himself. Or he didn't like the taste of the bark, kind of like how you spit something out that tastes gross and try to wipe off your tongue. They can't actually throw up so it was likely just chewed bark and spit from his mouth that he spat out.
Yeah, he probably got some bark stuck in his teeth. He went nuts on the slice without any hesitation, so I doubt he didn't like it. Silly dude was probably just too excited to finally have new wood chews.

Back