"Alternative" Treats :)

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Inca-bink

Hi All,

I posted something similar under the "safe treats" thread, but I thought I'd post it elsewhere since that thread seems to be falling into the "to raisin or not to raisin" debate...

What do people think about giving things like dried hibiscus petals? I got mine from a tea/spice shop I visit - for human consumption originally, but I have seen them pop up as acceptable treats more and more recently. They seem like they are pretty low in sugars and they are small and seemingly insubstancial and in my mind they don't seem to pose much risk nutritionally like raisins, cookies, and many other treats.

I've also seen things like chamomile flowers and dried rose petals mentioned.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

Just wanted to add that I get a 4inX4in pot of live growing organic wheatgrass in the produce section of our regular grocery store. It says it's safe and non-toxic for humans and pets. I see no problem feeding them 2-3 strands of grass that are about 4 inchs long. They love it.

I grew my own wheat grass for my cat a while back, and although my girls don't like to eat it (I offered them each a couple short blades of it) they LOVE to "own" it. They schooch their little tooshies right over it and wag their tails and sniff it and schooch again :). Weirdos.

I've given hibiscus, and used to sell it until my supply ran out. The chins liked it and I had no problems with it.

Back