Allergy to pine shavings? Small crust at corners of eye.

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Laurenrachelle

Laurenrachelle
I very recently was at the vet with my other chin, however they both were examined and she made no mention on his eyes. It is just a very small crust in the front corner of his eyes, similar to when humans wake up with "sleep" in our eyes. There are no other symptoms, his fur surrounding his eyes is not wet. It does not worsen at all or change.

This is why I'm wondering if he has allergies to his bedding. He had fleece prior to when I adopted them, but Alena told me pine shavings are good for the type of cage I have.

Thoughts? His teeth are great. Eats and drinks regularly. Wonderful large poop, active, no changes at all. Any help much much appreciated :)

Its possible it could be an allergy. How thorough of a dental exam did they do? A lot of times, watery eyes are an indication of malocclusion.

When Tiki was allergic to pine she sneezed and swiped her nose which was runny, did not have watery eyes.

She did a good job looking at them, and he is very young. His eyes are not weepy though. It's just one small little crust. I did have a chin with Malo, so I'm familiar. This guy has always had an amazing diet with much to chew on too. With his young age and recent vet exam, Malo isn't my concern with him.

Thank you guys for your help, you're definitely correct that eye stuff has to do with Malo a lot. I had that happen with my last boy. It was awful.

I have a chinchilla that would get just that little crust in the corner of one eye. It didn't ever get any worse and as an adult he outgrew it. I tried triple antibiotic eye ointment and that would clear it up for a couple of days and then the crust would come back. Now he doesn't get it anymore.

Back