Allergies?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
J

Joey&pepe

I have allergies and i don't want to give my chin away. I know they are hypoallergenic but when i hold him or somthing i get red and itchy sometimes with bumps. So, what's the best bedding, dust, hay, ect. for people with allergies? i will take any other suggestions as well.

Most people aren't allergic to the chins themselves. It's usually the bedding, hay, and/or dust. I am allergic to the dust itself and I find that Blue Sparkle dust seems to work the best for me. I wear a mask and I change my clothes and wash my hands and arms afterward. When they shake a lot of the dust comes up and there is just the right amount in their fur to degrease them too and I like the sparkle look especially on Sedona since she is black velvet.

I can't help you with the hay or bedding part though.
:)

If the bedding is what's bothering you, you could switch to fleece liners or carefresh bedding. Liners include more cleaning, though, as you have to wash them every couple of days, so rather than cleaning maybe once a week, you're cleaning 2-3 times a week. You can use hay cubes in place of loose hay, but it doesn't wear down their teeth the same way.

Another alternative to blue sparkle or blue cloud dust is Sweet PDZ dust that has seemed to work well for people with allergies. Also, if you can keep the room they are in at a fairly low humidity, they don't need to be dusted as often.

I have allergies. My problem is more asthma related. I don't get hives(unless I'm scratched), but can't breath when I am with them.

Try switching to hay cubes if you use loose hay. Try a different bedding--maybe the liners. As for dust, i've heard good things about the sweet pdz. I haven't tried it yet, I'm still suffering thru the blue cloud...HOWEVER, I reduce the amount of baths they get quite a bit. It doesn't hurt them, they just don't look the best.

Back