Allergic to dust or hay?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
H

HaleyGoBoom

So at first I never had a problem with Blue Cloud dust, then the other day me and my boyfriend were playing with Kingston in the bathroom (he was taking his dust bath before) and both of our eyes were irritated, but mine felt on fire! So that was Saturday that we did that.
Then this morning I felt fine, Sunday my eyes were a bit sore but I ignored it, then I changed his hay this morning and a little while after that my throat was really sore.
When I got home tonight, I took Kingston out to play (my throat had settled down a little bit) and then by the end of playtime I thought I wasn't doing to be able to breathe it was so swollen. I have some post nasal drip but once I put him back it started clearing up.
I'm pretty sure its the dust, since I catch him in his dust bath to get him to and from the bathroom. He seems irritated by it too though he was very itchy so I stopped giving them to him but once a week (besides when I catch him but its like 5 seconds)

Is there anyways I could change dust? Has anyone else had this problem?

I just changed to blue cloud dust from Kaytee dust and yes, i'm having more allergy
type symptoms--scratchy throat and that allergy annoyance feeling. I have a play
room they're in and it seems like the blue cloud is more air borne. The blue cloud is
suppose to be better and they like both brands--i may have to switch back though
if this keeps up. Are they using the plastic, enclosed like bath? I don't have hardly
any problem with the hay---mine is dust. Playtimes suppose to be fun! right?!hehe

The dust bothers me to the point I have to only dust them about once a week or twice a week. Depends on how they are looking. I have to leave the room when they dust.
I also wear a mask when I clean cages. The pine dust is as fine as the dust. I've tried many different store brands of pine and one is as dusty as the next. I'm almost considering making fleece pads.
You may want to dust after playtime. Might help you both.

You could also try using an air filter, that seems to help alot. Before we switched dust, I would get little bumps on my arms, I thought from the dust. I'm still not possitive, but since we switched to Blue Cloud I haven't had problems with rashes, just the air in the room is sooooo dusty when they dust. Filter cleans it up no problem.

Siylvat, can you describe these bumps? My GF has started to get unexplained little red bumps on her wrist. We hadn't figured out what it was, though I thought it looked like an allergic reaction of some sort. Sounds similar.

Siylvat, can you describe these bumps? My GF has started to get unexplained little red bumps on her wrist. We hadn't figured out what it was, though I thought it looked like an allergic reaction of some sort. Sounds similar.

If you find that it may be being caused by the dust, I am trying a new brand and I can give you a bit to try out. It's a different powdered mineral than Blue Cloud.

As for the bumps and such, I broke out when I got a bale of Timothy Hay. I usually use Oxbow and I had never had any problems, but when I got this bale I was completely covered in hives. There is also another girl in my area who bought a bag of Kaytee and it did the same thing. I got her a 9lb. box on Oxbow and she hasn't had the problem since. I'm not saying Oxbow is a cure all, just that different brands of hay seem to effect people differently.

I would get them all up the inside of of my wrist and down my arm. If you looked close, they were little red bumps, but from far away they almost looked skin colored. Usually concentrated in a certain area. They lasted for weeks.

I'm not sure if it was my dust, the hay, the bedding. I assumed it was from the dust, from the chins jumping on my with dust in their nails or something. Now that I think about it though it could have been the bedding we were using too. We are on fleece liners now, so that would have gotten rid of them. We also switched dust, so it could have been that. We still use the same hay though.

But, yeah your girlfriend's skin is probably sensative to something. Once you figure it out they should go away, mine did.

I use the Kaytee dust. I do tend to have mild allergy symptoms to dust, so I make sure I keep her room dusted and cleaned after her bath.

Well I use fleece liners, I don't break out, just the dust irritates my throat and makes it swell. I'll wear a mask next time I clean his cage, and try and find a new way to get him to play time (he wont be picked up yet he's way to squirmy but he is getting used to my hands and all)

And Essentia I may try your dust, I'd like to at least try and use this one (I have 5 pounds of Blue Cloud then 2 pounds of unused Kaytee as well), but if the allergies persist I will definitely PM you :]

http://www.sweetpdz.com/

Several of us are giving this a try and it's working out much better for those with breathing issues (I have asthma) exacerbated by using the Blue Cloud. It does a pretty good job! The dust isn't nearly as bad in the air, the coats look good, and the chins and I are both happy.

It's around $10.00 for 50 pounds and here's a coupon for $2.00 off http://www.mannapro.com/special_offers.htm

Several of us are giving this a try and it's working out much better for those with breathing issues (I have asthma) exacerbated by using the Blue Cloud. It does a pretty good job! The dust isn't nearly as bad in the air, the coats look good, and the chins and I are both happy.

It's around $10.00 for 50 pounds and here's a coupon for $2.00 off http://www.mannapro.com/special_offers.htm

Interesting, I have never heard of this. Thanks for sharing! It seems great, especially considering my husband has both severe allergies and asthma. Are you able to get it at a feed store? I'm assuming it is a powder consistency?

You should be able to get it anywhere Mannapro is sold. I got mine at a local feed store. Here's a link for a store locator: http://www.mannapro.com/dealer_locater.cfm

Yup, it's more powdery than dusty (at least to me).

I apologize also, I think my bag may be 40 pounds, not 50. Even so, a lot more bang for your buck than with Blue Cloud.

I've heard that breeders in Canada use Limestone chinchilla dust sand ( can be purchased at Flower Town Chinchillas). It's less dusty. Did anyone tried it? Is it safe for chins? I read somewhere that chinchillas dust should not contain traces of limestone, I do not know if it's true or not.

Whenever I give my boys a dust bath I have to open the window, turn the fan on and leave the room for at least an hour. If I don't my eyes start burning, I start coughing and wheezing and I get a rash. I get a rash when I give them hay too so I have to wash my hands right away after I touch it.

That dust is for horse stalls? Is it ok for the chinchillas? I'm just nervous using something not intended specifically for chinchillas. For those using this product let us know how this works out.

Let me just say that I purchased this today and was pleasantly surprised. I paid $10.50 for a 40 lb bag (with the $2.00 off coupon, so it would be $12.50 regularly). It almost looks like flour, but it is a mineral just like Blue Cloud (just a different mineral, of course). I hadn't dusted my chins in over a week knowing I was going to buy this. I wanted to see just how good of a job it would do.

It does a really good job! Lala absolutely loved it. It has almost a slick texture when in a glass pan (which is what she uses to dust) so she was sliding all over the pan. When I told her it was enough and tried to take it away she kacked at me. :p Apparently it has her approval.

I then tried it on the boys and it did well on both of their coats. They are both standards so a bit darker than Lala, so it did wash out their color for a bit, but other than that, that is my absolute only complaint. I can't complain about the price, or the fact that I can get it local.

I also started using it in my cat's litter box and within minutes, the smell was gone. I am looking around the house to see what other moisture I can absorb. :p

Back