Allergen free dust?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chin_gal

Me? Addicted?
Hello everyone! :)) Been a while! Question. I've always been allergic to the chinchilla dust, but now it's getting really, really bad. Every time I dust now, I have miserable allergies for days. I remember a long time ago I saw a dust substitute, but I can't remember what it was? I think it was some sort of horse product? Is that ringing a bell for anyone? Anyway, I'd really like to check that out, because these allergies are getting so bad. Figured I'd drop by and see if anyone could remember.

Thank you! :))

I agree!! I use the asthma/allergy bath dust from Whimsy and love it!! So do my Chins of coarse. My son has asthma and he has been perfect around it. I highly recommend it to anyone.

Thank you for sharing! Yeah, I have asthma too, and it does irritate it a bit (not as much as my allergies, though). I'll definitely give it a try! :))

Last edited:
I am so glad I decided to check out the forum I will definitely be ordering this ! It changes everything Things have gotten so bad I need a respirator with goggles to interact with my chin let him bath and even clean his cage! Thank you for this post! So excited !

I am so glad I decided to check out the forum I will definitely be ordering this ! It changes everything Things have gotten so bad I need a respirator with goggles to interact with my chin let him bath and even clean his cage! Thank you for this post! So excited !

I'm nearly to the same level although the hay is worse than the dust for my allergies. I guess I better look into this dust.

Technically you can't be allergic to an inorganic substance like volcanic rock that they use for chin dust. It can be irritating though and make your eyes water and your nose stuff up to block the dust which seems like allergies. Mostly it just makes the outside of my nose itch for some reason. I can see why people with a lot of chins develop respiratory problems though and sometimes have to give up their chins. Rather than have them dust bathe in their cages we have a cat litter box filled with 8lbs of blue cloud and we just quickly chin proof the bathroom and let them run around in there while their cages are cleaned. They coat the whole bathroom in dust and you can taste it in the air for the rest of the day even after sweeping it up and turning on the exhaust fan.

For hay allergies, I hear that giving hay cubes instead of loose hay helps. I think there are also hay pellets available, but I don't know how that will affect their teeth (different things are chewed differently).

I'm nearly to the same level although the hay is worse than the dust for my allergies. I guess I better look into this dust.

Back