All sorts of fur problems

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anna

I love my FurBlobs.
So, Ralphy's randomly chewed the end of his tail bald, which isn't the focus of this post. Furby, today, upon picking him up and such, I noticed has a fairly decent sized (quarter) patch where his fur is missing. The spot looks a little flaky and has some pink spots. Could this be a fungus of some sort? He has a major issue with chewing his fur, has for years but has never chewed himself bald. Also its in a weird spot on his back, in his "mohawk" area, the part of his fur that he can't seem to reach.

I'll call my vet tomorrow but unfortunately I have work that will be hard for me to get off the next few days... could this maybe wait til next tuesday?

On the other hand, he's been EATING more than he has been last few months, YAY

What should I be looking for?

((I understand that some skin ailments can be highly contagious to people and obvi. other chins, so I made sure that I washed my hands thoroughly))

I would recommend tinactin (foot powder) at 1 tsp. to one cup of dust bath... It is usually the easiest way to treat fungus. ;)

You can also buy it at pool supply stores but i have never heard of it being used for fungus (not saying that it isn't just never heard of it).

You can also buy it at pool supply stores but i have never heard of it being used for fungus (not saying that it isn't just never heard of it).

I had never heard of it period but Whimsy recommended it when the girls got a little fungus around their noses last summer. Put some in their bath and even dabbed a little on the spot and it was taken care of post haste. Didn't take long at all.

I use tinactin...it takes two to three treatments and it knocks out the fungus and kills the spores. I have used diatomaceous earth or fullers earth before, but I didn't really notice that it did anything but then again I wasn't using it for fungus. It's been a long time since I had any fungus here...but I have customers that end up with a case of it every now and then and they use the tinactin with great success.

Susan...what did you use it for if you don't mind me asking? I am not big on throwing antibiotics/harsh meds at things unless it's warranted so I am curious what else it could be used for. On the other hand, I totally understand if you would rather not say because of those who may try to treat things at home naturally/homeopathically and not seek vet care for their baby when needed.

My question is can u use the tin actin in cream form?? I can't find powder form here anywhere ??

Back