Alarming Droppings

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zahrii

One of my chins has been having some very small poops the past 6-12-ish hours. He's eating normally, not sure if he's acting normally as he's a naturally timid chinchilla and tends to stay in huts a lot. He's not totally reclusive though. I checked in a hut that he stayed in for about five minutes and I found three very small droppings, one dropping that was like 2 of the very small droppings together, and one dropping that was closer to being a healthy poop but a tad rougher-looking, not as smooth and dark as his brother's but similar in shape. If these poops continue to be abnormal in the morning, I will be calling the vet. His diet consists of Oxbow Essentials, 2nd cutting Timothy hay, orchard grass hay, and apple sticks. If anyone has any advice for any signs to look out for, if a trip to the emergency vet is needed if the poops continue to be very small (if it can't wait until he gets in for an appointment, which may be in a week or more), or anything related, please respond.

Last edited:
Didn't you just switch them to a larger, strange cage? It's possible that he's not used to that and has a bit of stress constipation. It sounds as though he's not drinking as much as usual by your description of the poop being "rougher." Does he have access to a water bottle at the spot where he seems most comfortable?

Didn't you just switch them to a larger, strange cage? It's possible that he's not used to that and has a bit of stress constipation. It sounds as though he's not drinking as much as usual by your description of the poop being "rougher." Does he have access to a water bottle at the spot where he seems most comfortable?
I'll move the water bottle closer to his hut and see if that helps. Should I still schedule the vet appointment, or should I wait and see if it gets better by itself? If I should wait, how long? Another thing to note is that he gets very anxious while in the travel carrier.

Last edited:
Back