aggression in new little 3 month old male?

• Thread starter DaphnesandFreddysmom
  • Start date
Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D

DaphnesandFreddysmom

Well we have an almost 2 year old female and just recently got a 3 month old male. We don't plan to house them together but today while our female was out on her nightly romp in the livingroom she nonchalantly went up to his cage to check this new thing out.

Well he flew to that corner of the cage started wildly pawing and biting at the bars like he was trying to attack her! He scared the daylights out of her and sent her running back to mommy. He did that a few times and he seemed over anxious and on alert while she was out until I brought her in the bathroom to play.

Is that aggression or maybe just over excitement? He didn't make any noises but if he acted like that to her just for being out of the cage I'm worried maybe a cagemate wouldn't be such a good idea for him.

My guess is that he was scared so he acted overly agressive toward her. Now the only problem is that he got the reaction from her that he wanted so he is likly to continue.

Rowan does that when he's in his cage, just being territorial. When he's out of the cage, though, he's okay with hopping up to the other chins' cages and giving them kisses.

does this mean our little Freddy is doomed to live alone? if we did attempt to introduce him to a buddy when we finally do house them together would it be best to do it in a brand new cage? I know not to just throw them in the same cage together that they need to be slowly introduced so i wouldn't just throw them together.

How long have you had your 3 month old male? Chances are not very long, meaning he could still be adjusting and therefore was scared by her.

Slightly OT: Did you quarantine?

How long have you had your 3 month old male? Chances are not very long, meaning he could still be adjusting and therefore was scared by her.

Slightly OT: Did you quarantine?

We've had him 3 weeks. He was just put in the livingroom last night. He was in the kids bedroom but that wasn't working out for them and we really had no other quarantine place to put him. We do quarantine for 30 days usually but it wasn't possible this time. But he was quarantined for awhile. Our next baby though will definetely be quarantined the 30 days my husband is cleaning an area in our utility room that will fit a cage comfortably.

So last night was the first time they ever "met".

With last night being their first meeting, it could have really scared him. He hasn't had time to get used to her scent or get used to her presense, then all of a sudden, boom she's there. Also, for future reference, as he gets older, she needs to be kept away from his cage at playtime. They can mate through the bars.

With last night being their first meeting, it could have really scared him. He hasn't had time to get used to her scent or get used to her presense, then all of a sudden, boom she's there. Also, for future reference, as he gets older, she needs to be kept away from his cage at playtime. They can mate through the bars.

Yes we were warned about that by our vet and I'll be keeping a close eye on that and keeping her away from his cage. Truthfully I never thought in a million years she'd approach his cage though. She'll have to go back to playtime in my bedroom is all to keep them seperate.

So does this mean there's still hope he can have a friend?

Sure. He may have as others said scared himself..or protecting HIS cage. I've got very picky chins who only like certian chins, and don't like others...

Keep in mind though- ANY chin can fight, and you've gotta be prepared for him to not accept another cage mate...but chances are, especially with him being young he'll be just fine.

I don't see where Freddie did anything unusual, he's just a silly baby boy. As far as scareing your girl chin, I can move my pinkie finger and they react like a gun went off.

They as in your chins? I've never had a chin do this ( run up to the cage ) , and unless I make a HUGE sudden move my chins don't freak out, and I mean huge like jumping off of a bucket or slamming the door.

I am going to say unless we were there to see it no one can tell you exactly why, because we can't see his actions and expressions, etc.

Sounds as though he was taken by surprise by the new chinchilla approaching 'his' house and acted accordingly.

Yes, there's a good chance he'll accept a cage mate but the whole intro thing is a process and usually the new chinchilla will be placed in the same room (in its own cage) and over a period of time their cages will be moved closer and closer together. This way they get time to adjust to each other and don't feel as threatened.

Back