advice!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
L

ljtrance

I'm really interested in getting a chinchilla, there's even one in my area that needs to be adopted. But I want to find out alot more about them so I can make an educated decision. Is there anything that you wish you had known about them before you got a chin? Anything will help!

Lots!! Read as much as you can :). The things I think everyone should know before they get a chinchilla are that it is essential that they are always cool enough, which depending on where you live, can mean high electric bills in the hotter months, you need to have a vet that knows chinchillas and be ready for some high vet bills, they are messy little things, it's hard to go away unless you have someone you trust to care for them, they have long lifespans :).

When people ask me about chins my first points are always
1. They are a commitment- average lifespan being 10-15 years and going up to 30 years, it's not exactly a hamster.
2. They cannot tolerate heat. Temperatures should really be under 70 and above 80 you are risking heat stroke and death. Air conditioning is not optional.
3. Chins are exotic animals that a lot of people don't know about. Pet stores rarely sell anything safe for chins and books are full of errors. You will have to be internet savvy to own a chin and learn about them and a lot of care items need to be bought online which can be pricey at first with the cage and accessories.
4. They aren't cats or dogs most don't like to be held or pet for long periods of time. They require more work to gain their trust- but if you take the time to they are the most fun rewarding surprising little creatures.

If people can handle that little shpeal then I go into the specifics of chinchilla care. Stay on the forum a while and read all you can the knowledge to be gained here is amazing!

:clap:THANK-YOU for doing research before making a decision! Too many times people go out and buy a chin on impulse and then they have no clue how to care for them properly or they realize they are not the pet for them.

Read the FAQ's on this site, and feel free to ask any specific questions you might have! :)

Welcome to Chins and Hedgies. This is the best possible forum to gain chin knowledge and know if a chin is the pet for you.

The biggest thing that I learned was that the pet store was not always the best place to get things for our chins. Mazuri & Oxbow are not sold in most stores, quite often what they say is chin safe is actually not. I learned what wood is safe, that they can have hammocks and that I don't need bedding at all so we use fleece.

:)

RESEARCH RESEARCH RESEARCH!!! One of the greatest days in my chinnies' lives was when I found this website!! Don't be afraid to ask questions, and be wary of what you hear in pet stores!! We're lucky that one of the men who works in our local pet stores has chins himself, so we can get advice from him, but BEWARE of "chinchilla safe" food and cage accessories!!

Read as much as you can, the FAQS are great!! and if you come up with any questions you have come to the perfect place for asking them.

Get a same-sex pair, and don't even think of breeding, until you've owned them for about 3-4 years and read all the problems associated with breeding, no matter how many cute pictures you've seen on here!

I've been scouring forums, websites, and the internet in general to soak up as much information as possible. I've been doing this for about a good 4-5 months or so. You're in the right place, just read, read, read and ask lots of questions. I'm sure everyone here would be happy to answer them and help you out.

Welcome to the world of Chins, they are addictive!

I agree with everyone else, read, read, read. Especailly in forums. ANd join other ones too if you feel the need, but read. If you just look for info on the web, alot of the info is wrong, so you want to read the facts on forums, and hear from people that have been breeding and ranching etc. for many years. They have the most knowledge, sometimes even more than an exoctic vet because even though they are schooled for it, they don't deal with chin problems every day. ANd one important factor is to find a GREAT CHIN VET before you need to go. That way if something comes up you will have your vet. Sometimes if a chin get sicks, he/she needs to see a vet within 24 hours. Very important because they can die quickly, not to scare you off, they are fun animals, but you need to be prepared.

Jean

Welcome:wave5:

Get a same-sex pair, and don't even think of breeding, until you've owned them for about 3-4 years and read all the problems associated with breeding, no matter how many cute pictures you've seen on here!

I agree. Also make sure if you decide to take a pair that you can properly sex your chinchillas so you don't end up with a surprise 111 days later. Invest in a good cage before you decide to bring your chin(s) home.

Back