Advertising

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

tunes

Administrator/Owner
Staff member
Admin
We have had several requests to do a half yearly payment (which I can understand right about now in our economy), and that is fine. So the breakdown would be:

Regular advertising, full year, $60.00/half year $30.00
Rescue advertising, full year, $30.00/half year $15.00

T

Twilight_Tails

Rick, pm me with what you had in mind and I'll let you know.

Our thoughts at this point are that this is for our forum, for chinchilla and hedgehog related ads. I'm not sure we're interested in PetSmart or Petco, because most of what they offer is not chinchilla/hedgehog safe anyway.

Personally I would like to see it limited to members' ads, to promote our own so to speak. I think it's a wonderful idea, and I know anyone here who has products/services to offer would be more than happy to support this community in this way, but I would rather not have to sift through those who actually deserve my business versus the big names everyone knows anyway.

As soon as I move and am able to start making some of the random things that have ventured into my subconscious I will definitely be interested in a banner!

My only question is, would we be able to change our ads throughout the year? Is there a limit on how many revisions you can submit before it becomes a nuisance? I'm sure there are people who will want to point out if, say, their store is having a huge sale or something (I know the size doesn't permit for an extensive amount of text, but even background changes to keep things fresh?) but I wouldn't want to make more work than you already have here.

tunes

Administrator/Owner
Staff member
Admin
Yes you can. This is for our members to advertises their "services." Your artwork has been commissioned for chinchilla/hedgehog portraits, which definitely relates to our forum.

Solarsis

trained by expert chins
Have you guys looked into Google Ad Manager? It's a free system to help you manage banner ads on your website.

In addition to tracking ad performance, it would let you add/substract banners at will without having to create a big gif file every month or set up a rotation system. The ads would be static and would change randomly any time someone refreshes their screen or clicks to go to a new page. The distribution "weight" can be adjusted to give everyone equal exposure during the month.

It would also allow the ads to become clickable, eliminating the need for a thread with all the addresses. AND it would probably help you out greatly if one day you decided to grow the advertising program to include corporate sponsors. I believe it also ties into google analytics for more in depth stats analysis.

It's just a thought to help cut down on admin time and logistics for the ads. If you need any help learning how to use or implement it, please don't be shy :)

alpayton

Always into something...
Have you guys looked into Google Ad Manager? It's a free system to help you manage banner ads on your website.

In addition to tracking ad performance, it would let you add/substract banners at will without having to create a big gif file every month or set up a rotation system. The ads would be static and would change randomly any time someone refreshes their screen or clicks to go to a new page. The distribution "weight" can be adjusted to give everyone equal exposure during the month.

It would also allow the ads to become clickable, eliminating the need for a thread with all the addresses. AND it would probably help you out greatly if one day you decided to grow the advertising program to include corporate sponsors. I believe it also ties into google analytics for more in depth stats analysis.

It's just a thought to help cut down on admin time and logistics for the ads. If you need any help learning how to use or implement it, please don't be shy :)

Please see my earlier post...unless I'm absolutely totally out of the way with my thoughts on what the Google Ad thingy does, we will not be going this route.

And we do NOT want to go the route of the Google ads...then we'd have those that would have the ad blocker kicked in and noone would be seeing the ads that were paid for. That defeats the purpose.

Solarsis

trained by expert chins
Sorry I read that post and thought that you were referring to Google Adwords which is the service where text ads are displayed on your site and you get commission per click. That is indeed a whole other ball game and I would understand why you wouldn't want it on the site.

The google ad manager is purely to manage your ad space. Yes, you are right that ad blockers can be a problem with it too. However, your site traffic should be able to support some loss of impressions (the number of times and ad is displayed). In fact, it might even help you get a better quality click-through for the advertisers you do have since those folks who are still viewing ads would generally be more interested in clicking on them. Generally speaking in online marketing, it's not the number of times an ad is generated that counts, but more the number of time someone clicks or takes action on the ad.

Riven

Bad Chin
Would people who purchase a banner have a chance to change their banner occasionally?

Maybe something like one a month, every two months, etc. or perhaps for a small fee?

Obviously you would want some sort of regulation on it so people weren't asking to have theirs changed every couple days, etc.

alpayton

Always into something...
Would people who purchase a banner have a chance to change their banner occasionally?

Maybe something like one a month, every two months, etc. or perhaps for a small fee?

Obviously you would want some sort of regulation on it so people weren't asking to have theirs changed every couple days, etc.

Yes...changing the banner occasionally will be allowed. You're not stuck with the one you submit for the entire subscription. For right now, let's go with.....you may change your banner on a monthly basis with no penalty.

beanjelly

kayak queen...
Will the sellers that are advertised on the top of the site be "trusted" sellers with a good history? Or could anyone buy an ad?

tunes

Administrator/Owner
Staff member
Admin
It's an advertisement like any other - buyer beware. It is not possible for us to screen or vet every person who advertises. If you are uncomfortable buying from someone who is advertising, then don't. That's the best I can tell you.

T

Twilight_Tails

Yes...changing the banner occasionally will be allowed. You're not stuck with the one you submit for the entire subscription. For right now, let's go with.....you may change your banner on a monthly basis with no penalty.

Thank you, that was what I was asking as well.

L

lnm130

I dont sell anything. I'm purely a consumer. But, I just wanted to say that I think this is a fantastic idea, and kudos to the admins and mods for putting in all this work!

Rebecca

That one bookworm girl...
Is there any chance the advertisements could run on a slower timer? Every ad would still get the same amount of screen time, but it feels like as soon as something catches my eye it is dissolving away.

alpayton

Always into something...
Is there any chance the advertisements could run on a slower timer? Every ad would still get the same amount of screen time, but it feels like as soon as something catches my eye it is dissolving away.

For right now, all you have to do is click on the banner and it will take you to the thread that has all the advertisers posted in it and all their banners are located there as well.

I will be working on trying to get the banner to be more user-friendly after I have an exam this week, but school must come first.

Latest posts