Adoption

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

Madip

So as in my previous posts I adopted a rescue chinchilla names taco going on 2 months ago. My end goal is to have 4 chinchillas bonded.

I’m working now with taco and sheldon to get them bonded. I bought a ton of new toys and a like wire fence to introduce them in a more neutral space. Currently I am just waiting on them all to be delivered and giving the two alittle time to just relax.

I have been searching around to find a pair of males or a couple males that have previously had a cage mate. I know that this will probably take awhile since I’m looking At rescue’s instead of breeders.

I do know and realize like taco and Sheldon they may not ever bond and I am prepared to have 3 appropriate sized cages for them. I’m not sure how long it will take to find what I am looking for especially with everything being so crazy because of this virus.

Do you think this is a bad idea or that it is too soon since I just got taco? I’ve started looking so early because I’m anticipating it taking at least a few months+ before I can even introduce them. Could this be too stressful for my two?

Amethyst

Super Moderator
Staff member
Ok personally unless it's all family, like father with sons or mother with daughters, or siblings, from what I've seen it doesn't work out well trying to bond more the pairs. Bonding even an additional chin to an already bonded pair can cause the bonded pair to split too. Also keep in mind that just like humans not all chins like all other chins, so you could also end up with one that likes the new guy but one that doesn't, or even end up with them all hating each other in the end because they end up turning on each other. The best way to try to bond additional chins is to do one on one bonding with each, that way they can't gang up. Once each get along with the new guy, if they do, then you can try bonding all three together, meaning it can take at least twice as long bonding 3 as it does to bond a pair and even longer to bond 4. If you want to try keep be prepared for it to take years to try to bond 4 together with a high likelihood of it not working out that they all get along together and the possiblity of ending up needing 4 cages.

Madip

Ok personally unless it's all family, like father with sons or mother with daughters, or siblings, from what I've seen it doesn't work out well trying to bond more the pairs. Bonding even an additional chin to an already bonded pair can cause the bonded pair to split too. Also keep in mind that just like humans not all chins like all other chins, so you could also end up with one that likes the new guy but one that doesn't, or even end up with them all hating each other in the end because they end up turning on each other. The best way to try to bond additional chins is to do one on one bonding with each, that way they can't gang up. Once each get along with the new guy, if they do, then you can try bonding all three together, meaning it can take at least twice as long bonding 3 as it does to bond a pair and even longer to bond 4. If you want to try keep be prepared for it to take years to try to bond 4 together with a high likelihood of it not working out that they all get along together and the possiblity of ending up needing 4 cages.
Yes I totally get that. I am more looking for siblings. Right now I have 3 cages ready to go. Sheldon and taco their own and another cage for the new pair if I find a good match.

I moved taco and Sheldon's cages a little differently.originally I had it where just the small side of sheldons cage was near the front of tacos now they are actually side by side and I think have more access to eachother. I even added more ledges on the sides that are near each other. I figured i would take a step back and give them some more time while everything I ordered takes its time to deliver. Not the best pic but I think they are actually getting more comfortable since they spend most of the day sitting next to each other. Hopefully that’s a good sign.

006961DA-F09D-4DB9-AB9A-8050F68060A7.jpeg

Latest posts