Abdominal Hernia

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

channeltool

Hi, has anyone had a chin who needed abdominal hernia surgery? Wally's hernia has moved upward pressing against his lungs and heart. The vet told me he shows signs of slight difficulty breathing. They are not sure how long he has had this and if the fat has attached to his lungs then they would not be able to fix his hernia but they will not know until they open him up. I asked if he did not get the surgery what would happen she told me he could live a long life like this or not. They do not know.

To open up a chinchilla on this scale is risky in the extreme and the survival rate is compromised. You need to weigh quality of life without the surgery against the risks of surgery and the possible mortality of your chin.

He will be 12 in June. He is still young. Trust me, I am not happy with my options. He might live or might not live longer without surgery or he might survive or might not survive the surgery. Right now I am syringe feeding him but he is very active. I had a chin who was born with a groan hernia and he had surgery but that was not a very invasive surgery.

Back