A white substance found on a female Chinchilla's vagina

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ashestodust

Hi everyone! I just registered but I have a beautiful female chinchilla who recently turned 1!

Apart from an accident with her tail, which resulted in half of it being amputated, she has always been in good health with no problems. She is not a breeding chin and I have no plans to make her one so there have been no pregnancies or anything else. She also lives alone so she hasn't been in contact with any other chinchillas since I bought her almost a year ago.
Today, I picked her up and noticed a mushy white substance attached to her vagina. I cleaned it up but found it surprisingly difficult to do so though this may have been because I was touching some of her furs by mistake, afterwards I saw on her, I believe it called, urethral cone something dry and white (with a little bit of green too). I have never seen this before and don't know what to do! Any ideas?
If it helps, she has otherwise been completely fine, no personality changes or anything else.

Update! It looked like this but it had come out

Attachments

• IMG-20220916-WA0004.jpg
    IMG-20220916-WA0004.jpg
    152.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Is there still stuff coming out? My first guess would be pyometra (uterine infection), especially since you say you also saw green too, and what you are seeing is the pus draining. I would get her to the vet as soon as possible, if it is pyometra it's an emergency, and can turn deadly pretty quick. They are good a hiding illness until they physically can't, so she could be feeling bad but acting ok for now.

If however what you saw was more like a waxy clump thing, and you don't see anything else coming out, it could just be a heat plug. You don't normally notice heat plugs either they eat them or fall into the bedding, and are perfectly normal. The fact that there as a bit of green is not normal though.

Is there still stuff coming out? My first guess would be pyometra (uterine infection), especially since you say you also saw green too, and what you are seeing is the pus draining. I would get her to the vet as soon as possible, if it is pyometra it's an emergency, and can turn deadly pretty quick. They are good a hiding illness until they physically can't, so she could be feeling bad but acting ok for now.

If however what you saw was more like a waxy clump thing, and you don't see anything else coming out, it could just be a heat plug. You don't normally notice heat plugs either they eat them or fall into the bedding, and are perfectly normal. The fact that there as a bit of green is not normal though.
Thank you! I will definitely take her to a vet ASAP! I've updated the post with a picture if it makes things easier

Back