A Scary Incident

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anna

I love my FurBlobs.
I'm out of town for a few days and my chinchillas are watched by my room mate while I'm gone. She usually works 12 hour shifts (we're Paramedics) and had to pull a double, so she was gone 24 hours. Sometime in the night, our house was broken into using a utilities hole in the side of the house (size of a dog door) and the house was trashed. They ransacked the place, took the computer in the kitchen, my room mate's laptop (mine is with me) the TV (in the living room and my room mate's room), two of the fancy rugs, opened every drawer and every window in the house, strew papers around, took all the alcohol, the speakers, ugh, everything. All the jewelry, they dumped into a pillow case
I'm still not home, but she called me right before she called the police.
She said the chinchillas were okay, Hebe and Waldo and Furby were all in their cages but somehow Ralphy and Bella were running about. goodness, I'm so horrified about the possibility they bred. I won't be able to get back for another day or two, my room mate is willing to take her to the vet but what could they do early on? I'm kind of freaking out.

Sorry--- that was long. I don't know for sure if they bred, what can I do to keep her from having babies???! And why would someone open their cages!?? There was a robbery that occurred at the end of my street that was never resolved about a month ago...

Last edited:
I'm so sorry this happened to you!

I don't think there's anything you can do to keep her from having babies. Not trying to be funny or anything, but I don't think there's "Plan B" emergency contraception for chins. You'll just have to keep an eye on her for the next 111 days or so.

My guess is they opened the cages because they're *******es. We're talking about people who broke into your house, afterall. I really hope the police are able to track them down.

Okay... I know there are emergency Spays, I didn't think that was an option right now cuz it's invasive. Sorry, I just have never even entertained the idea of baby chinchillas. I wasn't sure what my options are now that this has come to rise. UGGGHHH

Thank you :)) this is such a nightmare.

Also, I rescued Bella , she was being sold in a fishtank and had a bad lung infection. She's had relapses of URIs a lot, and has just so recently not had any symptoms of one. I hope she's not too weak to deal with this.... I don't know anything about pregnant females though. crud

Last edited:
Oh, wow, seriously scary!! I'm so sorry this happened to you! I will be praying for Bella... mostly for her not to be pregnant but also for her to be able to handle it if she is. :/
Keep us updated.

I'm sorry you're dealing with this!

There is not an option to do anything with Bella right now, but monitor her weight. She may not even be in heat. Try not to worry about this, as you have so many other things to be concerned about.

Sort out what's going on with your house and stolen belongings, and if Bella starts gaining weight, you can "jump off that bridge" when you get there.

Like Laura said, chinchillas have a monthly cycle similar to our own and she might not have even been in heat. She should only be receptive a couple days out of the month.

Okay, thanks guys that makes me feel loads better!!!
I feel bad I wasn't there for my babies :( but it's a relief to know that.

Quite honestly I am glad that neither you nor your roommie were home...I am glad that the chins were not hurt either. Someone who does something like that is capable of anything... I hope they nab the ^%^$#!

Thanks, it would have been scary but I can't imagine anyone advancing onto my property with a 106 lb doberman coming at them. I'm just sad I wasn't there for the chins, I bet they were freaked out! And uggghhhh I'm so mad they got out haha. I'm so happy they're all okay though. I miss them :))

Several years ago I missed coming home to my ex's house being burglarized by about 15 minutes...I still cringe when I think of what might have happened if I had walked in on it. I refused to stay over ever again and we even broke up because of it. LOL Funny how things happen. It just wasn't meant to be just like if your girl does get pregnant it was meant to happen albeit unintentional and through no fault of yours. Try looking at it that way although because of her health issues I certainly hope that she isn't. By the way where was the doberman? I hope he got a few chomps in...

I would worry more about what either of the chins ate while they were loose. Keep a close eye on them for the next couple of days. Sorry that You have to deal with this. Hopefully, one or both of the chins bit the you know what out of the scum!

I hope so, cuddlebug. That woulda shown them!! I will definitely keep an eye on them when I get home. My roomie is going to check on them before she crashes tonight and tomorrow until I get home. I told her what to look for, but so far, she's had them out to play in the chin room and such and seem to be back to their normal selves. She filled the water and food and said both had been eating a lot, probably frm being out for so long, or however long... She sent me photos of their poop. She's the bestest haha. Gah. So stressful.

I appreciate the support though, guys :))

Last edited:
I'm sorry to hear about this Anna. I hope everyone is healthy and not pregnant! Talk about adding insult to injury; I don't know why people have to go out of their way to make it worse.

I predict Ralphy escaped and let Bella out then they ransacked the house together. lol I hope all goes well, I bet it will. When we spend a night away from home we lock the cages with a small chain and padlock. There is one kid down the street that knows when we are gone and he has taken things and once let all 5 of the ferrets I used to have loose. I got them all back after about 12 hours

Wow, that is truly scary on so many levels! I think the worst part for you now is that after this terrible violation, you are away from home and not there to make things right/better. I'm happy your chins weren't killed by these intruders, who don't seem to give a **** at all. I hope your chins are ok and pregnancy won't be an issue for you.

Anna, so sorry this happened to you! I'll be sending good vibes your way and that whoever did this gets caught.

*hugs*

I predict Ralphy escaped and let Bella out then they ransacked the house together.

LMAO you're probably right. Ralphy would.

And thank you guys, the support means a lot. Given the fact that the robbery a month ago produced no leads, I'm not optimistic. But I want to cruise through the pawn shops and see what I can find. Ugh.

Last edited:
Back