A post about chewing

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kraucci

Happy Monday all 🙂

My chin has a chew-proof cage (the mansion aka "ferret" cage lol). But, it's the outside frame so he can't escape. The shelivng and ramps/slides are plastic. He's about 7, and after year 4ish of replacing the cage (it was the same price/cheaper than finding the shelving and such) a third time, which as you all know costs as much as he did, I gave up since he's never had any health issues.
He can have all the toys in the world to chew, his vitamin C tab, his hay, food, but he continues to chew the plastic, for 7 years now. I have an 'applewood dealer/girl' as I call the company lol (I believe it's Rhonda's, recommended from here!). I'm sure you all know by now I do not neglect this furball.
It's definitely not as bad now because I haven't even considered replacing the cage since the last one like 3-4 years ago. He seems to like the spots he's already chewed, but I'm also home more during his most active times of day, so I usually just have to turn around and yell his name and he stops. After a few times, or I gentle rattle the cage nearby, he stops. This doesn't occur daily. I've removed the spiral slide because he was targeting the latches and it was unnecessary. I also removed a ramp because it's a shorter distance between two floors. There are two ramps left. He focuses on one of the ramps where he's chewed a big dent over the years.
I've looked into the steel/metal cages based on previous related posts, but I'm afraid he'll chew and hurt himself? He will sometimes briefly grind his teeth on his "chinchiller" marble slab when I put it in, which I feel is horrifying, but rare. Nothing else though. I mean, yeah if you leave your finger out like a stick lol.
I've read that putting fleece (or is it felt?) around is a solution. I'm unclear though if that means that's okay to chew so it's like a distraction/safe covering, or if he chews it to remove it? And then what? Also, how to secure it if it's to cover the shelves? I was going to remove the ramps, but I feel like constantly having to hop between the floors will be bad for him? I know they CAN hop so very high, hence the cage needs, but will he eventually suffer health-wise at all without "stairs" to walk up? Thoughts or any other suggestions always appreciated, please and thank you!

Happy Monday all 🙂

My chin has a chew-proof cage (the mansion aka "ferret" cage lol). But, it's the outside frame so he can't escape. The shelivng and ramps/slides are plastic. He's about 7, and after year 4ish of replacing the cage (it was the same price/cheaper than finding the shelving and such) a third time, which as you all know costs as much as he did, I gave up since he's never had any health issues.
He can have all the toys in the world to chew, his vitamin C tab, his hay, food, but he continues to chew the plastic, for 7 years now. I have an 'applewood dealer/girl' as I call the company lol (I believe it's Rhonda's, recommended from here!). I'm sure you all know by now I do not neglect this furball.
It's definitely not as bad now because I haven't even considered replacing the cage since the last one like 3-4 years ago. He seems to like the spots he's already chewed, but I'm also home more during his most active times of day, so I usually just have to turn around and yell his name and he stops. After a few times, or I gentle rattle the cage nearby, he stops. This doesn't occur daily. I've removed the spiral slide because he was targeting the latches and it was unnecessary. I also removed a ramp because it's a shorter distance between two floors. There are two ramps left. He focuses on one of the ramps where he's chewed a big dent over the years.
I've looked into the steel/metal cages based on previous related posts, but I'm afraid he'll chew and hurt himself? He will sometimes briefly grind his teeth on his "chinchiller" marble slab when I put it in, which I feel is horrifying, but rare. Nothing else though. I mean, yeah if you leave your finger out like a stick lol.
I've read that putting fleece (or is it felt?) around is a solution. I'm unclear though if that means that's okay to chew so it's like a distraction/safe covering, or if he chews it to remove it? And then what? Also, how to secure it if it's to cover the shelves? I was going to remove the ramps, but I feel like constantly having to hop between the floors will be bad for him? I know they CAN hop so very high, hence the cage needs, but will he eventually suffer health-wise at all without "stairs" to walk up? Thoughts or any other suggestions always appreciated, please and thank you!

Can you send a picture of the cage? Him chewing on plastic is definitely not a good thing, I'm surprised he hasn't ingested any of it yet. Fleece is a good option, not felt. Anti-pill fleece to be exact. It's safe if he decides to chew it, but not if he decides to eat it. If he eats it, you have to think of something else. Fleece chewers/eaters is uncommon, even if the chin used to chew plastic. Once I see the cage I can answer more of your questions.

Can you send a picture of the cage? Him chewing on plastic is definitely not a good thing, I'm surprised he hasn't ingested any of it yet. Fleece is a good option, not felt. Anti-pill fleece to be exact. It's safe if he decides to chew it, but not if he decides to eat it. If he eats it, you have to think of something else. Fleece chewers/eaters is uncommon, even if the chin used to chew plastic. Once I see the cage I can answer more of your questions.
I always assumed he's ingested it all these years because I don't find plastic anywhere, just the empty space where plastic used to be. it's this one. Kaytee Ferret Home Plus, 24" L X 24" W X 41.5" H | Petco

The plastic can be covered in anti pill fleece, most chins don't bother to chew it because it's not "fun" since it doesn't unravel or shred. Some chins do chew it though, a little bit swallowed is likely to pass without issue, but you do need to remove it if a lot is chewed. You can secure the fleece on the shelves using metal binder clips.

The other option is to just replace the plastic with wood, it's safe to chew and gives him extra things to chew. Chins don't need ramps unless handicapped, they hop and jump not walk, just make sure they are not too far apart, I don't go more then 6 inches. You can use perches and ledges to replace the ramps. Metal can work too, it gives the chin something cool to sit on, but doesn't give the chin something to chew on.

Oh another thing, if you are feeding a good quality food chins don't need extra vitamin C, and can actually do more harm then good.

thank you! I feed him Oxbow. The vitamin C tab is also actually Oxbow now, too. I don't give it to him every day, and sometimes just half. But if Oxbow pellets are as good as I had read about, I will definitely not continue the vitamin C. Can I find fleece in a craftstore?

thank you! I feed him Oxbow. The vitamin C tab is also actually Oxbow now, too. I don't give it to him every day, and sometimes just half. But if Oxbow pellets are as good as I had read about, I will definitely not continue the vitamin C. Can I find fleece in a craftstore?
Yes you can get fleece at craft stores, but a cheaper way is to just get fleece throw blankets at Walmart or bargain stores. They are only a few dollars so you can try it out and see if your chin chews fleece or not before spending too much on more expensive fleece.

I always assumed he's ingested it all these years because I don't find plastic anywhere, just the empty space where plastic used to be. it's this one. Kaytee Ferret Home Plus, 24" L X 24" W X 41.5" H | Petco
At some point and when you could afford it, personally I recommend just switching to a Double Ferret Nation. It's easier to do modifications on, and it's higher quality in general. You just have to cover/replace the pans. A lot of people remove the shelves that come with it and put ledges instead to make the cage look more spacious. It's more fun for the chin as well. Kaytee isn't a good brand and they produce a lot of cheaply made stuff, so I'm not sure how long that cage would last long-term especially once all the chin-safe modifications are done. The FN is also much taller, which is good for chins. (62.5 inches tall)

At some point and when you could afford it, personally I recommend just switching to a Double Ferret Nation. It's easier to do modifications on, and it's higher quality in general. You just have to cover/replace the pans. A lot of people remove the shelves that come with it and put ledges instead to make the cage look more spacious. It's more fun for the chin as well. Kaytee isn't a good brand and they produce a lot of cheaply made stuff, so I'm not sure how long that cage would last long-term especially once all the chin-safe modifications are done. The FN is also much taller, which is good for chins. (62.5 inches tall)
is Double Ferret Nation a type of cage Midwest Ferret Nation makes? Or did I find the wrong company?

I second the Ferret Nation cage, they are expensive up front, unless you can grab one on sale or find one for sale second hand, but worth it. These cages can easily outlast your chin, I bought mine about 8 years ago and it's still in great shape. I've covered the plastic floor pan and one shelf with fleece. replaced the other shelf with wood and added lots of ledges and perches. There is also a Ferret Nation Club thread if you want to check out some other people's FN cages.

Attachments

• Cage.jpg
    Cage.jpg
    156.7 KB · Views: 10
Back