a lot of clear discharge

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TnkTaingTal

My chin had a large amount of discharge (looked like she peed on her shelf) but it is clear and does not smell. My vet is out until Sunday. The best closest vet won't be open until 8am tomorrow and I've never been there and don't know how often the chinchilla vet is in. I have a number for another place, but haven't called yet. If there is no smell could it be just a heavy heat cycle?

I should add she is acting normally. She was running on her saucer a few minutes before I saw the discharge.
I have baytril left over from my other chin who had pyo. I thought about giving it to her until my vet ( who is experienced in spays) comes back Sunday. I don't know if that would be a good idea. I am always terrified to go to unknown vets :/

Do not give baytril without a known infection. She may actually be in heat. Occasionally a female will have quite a bit of clear mucus that gets discharged during heat. This is usually clear, does not smell and disappears on its own in 2 -3 days. If it persists longer, get her checked by the vet.

I went to an exotics vet I've never been to. Talia (the chin with discharge) gave her a lot of trouble with being handled. She was able to get a look st her vagina and found some blood. The vet said it could be urinary or reproductive and said the bedding with urine on it looked like it could have blood in it (it looks the same as all my chins urine) I told her that and that when the discharge occurred I separated her and had her on light blue fleece. Her urine looked fine. The way the blood was positioned made me think she may have bitten her vagina while grooming, but its hard to tell due to her squirming. She mentioned something about her uterus possibly deteriorating? She also said to put her on fleece to check her urine which I told her I already did. The vet said she definitely needed anti biotics and should have x rays. I said okay. She said shed have to amnesties her. I said okay. There was a long silence and she said okay, so that's the plan, give her baytril and follow up with your normal vet. It was like I was talking to a wall. I dont think she wanted to deal with talias squirming... She didn't even try to collect her discharge to check for bacteria. I'm going to my usual vet tomorrow.

Oh, I had baytril and metacam left over from another chins surgery last month which I showed her. The Dr figured out the dosing for Talia. She prescribed her .3-.4 baytril every 24hrs and .1 metacam every 12-24hrs. Is it even normal to give such generalized dosage?

Back