a little worried.

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
X

xSarah49

i have a 6 month old chinchilla, sugar, .. and i recently moved to mass and ever since i moved up here she often lays down on her side to go to sleep.. before i moved she always slept all curled up in a ball.. is this unusual? or is she just being comfy?

Lots of chins sleep on their side and it's totally normal. It would be different if she was lethargic, not eating, drinking, pooping and peeing. But if she's just sleeping, then she's fine. :)

ok thank you.. i was so worried the first time is saw her doing that..

Just as Peggy (Tunes) said, as long as she's eating, drinking and her poo is normal, it's completely fine. I have always taken it as a sign of comfort...that they're comfortable enough in their environment to totally relax. So, look at it as a good thing!

though it is normal I'm like you and get worried when ever I see this. All my chins never sleep like this...probably because the one time they tried I woke them up and gave them a good looking over because I'm such a worry wart lol

The first time you notice it, it can be really scary! Especially if they're in "deep sleep" and they don't wake until you try to pick them up to see what's wrong! Heart-stopping, but then kinda funny!

The first time Doof went to sleep on her side I flipped out. She would always sleep in her hut, but after a few months she started sleeping on her side on her ledge. It's really fine for chins to do it, usually just indicates that they're comfy.

The first time my husband and I noticed my chin on her side, we thought she had died! Turns out she just finds this position comfortable from time to time. Like the others have said, if she is behaving normally, then she is fine.

Back