A little rant....

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Velm

I'm just chinchillin'
Whelp, I've researched around and found that most commercial Chin feed from petstores and such isn't safe for chins at all. (Ones that come with more treats than actual pellets) I only have one petstore in my town and the only other store that sells feed for small animals is Walmart. Both places have not so great feed so I've decided I'm going to have to buy my food offline. I've come to the conclusion (with help from others and on here) that Mazuri Chinchilla feed is the best. I'm going to buy my feed from http://www.lonestarchinchilla.com/

The only problem is, I live in a neighborhood and I have some little brats that come by and take mail from mail boxes! I've seen them twice taking mail from my neighbors mail box and running away. Also, I ordered a package off Amazon a few weeks ago that was small enough to fit in my mail box and I never got it. I tracked it and it was supposed to already be here! Nothing went wrong so I can't help but assume those little brats did it. I'm so worried they're going to end up taking my Chin feed once I order it!

Okay, I'm done with my rant...

Not to mention went in my backyard and tossed a little firecracker onto my back porch. Almost scared the living crap out of my poor mother! I know it was them because I saw them running away laughing. I'm 17 years old, and even when I was younger I never did such things, no matter how bored me and my buddies were! KIDS THESE DAYS I TELL YA.

I have a feeling I'm going to be one grumpy old lady. "GET OFF OF MY LAWN!"

Mazuri isn't necessarily the "best". There are many feeds out there that are good for chins, including some rabbit feeds. I buy Manna Pro Sho rabbit feed from the local TSC and my chins have done great on it. Other really good brands include Oxbow & Tradition. Nutrena rabbit pellets is good, and one by Purina that I always forget the name of.

Mazuri isn't necessarily the "best". There are many feeds out there that are good for chins, including some rabbit feeds. I buy Manna Pro Sho rabbit feed from the local TSC and my chins have done great on it. Other really good brands include Oxbow & Tradition. Nutrena rabbit pellets is good, and one by Purina that I always forget the name of.

Oh yeah, I've seen plenty and do plan to try different kinds. I will avoid switching too often but I would like to try out different kinds to see what works best with my chin. And oh, I didn't know Purina has a small animal feed? I've only seen cat and dog food. Thanks for the suggestions!

I really wouldn't recommend switching around at all. Find a good brand that is easy for you to get and keep your chin on that assuming s/he does ok.

As far as the brats go bait them into your yard and frozen paintball practice is on!!!!! If anyone can get a pic or video of them even opening boxes call police and report them.

Mazuri is made by Purina. It is the food I have used for 15 years and never had a problem.
As for the kids in your mail box, if you can somehow prove it is them, report them - it is a FEDERAL crime to tamper with mail boxes

Do you have a feed store? We plan to use nutrena rabbit pellets since that's what we have for the rabbits and we can buy it in big cheap bags instead of those tiny over priced ones at the petstore. You can get 40lbs for the same price as 10lbs. We can get manna pro 50lbs even cheaper from the same place but every now and then they run out and don't order more for up to 4 months. Our rabbits were having to live on just hay and oats for months and we started losing shows due to bad condition. While it's the better feed and I'd prefer to use it I have no choice but to use the nutrena unless my husband gets a higher paying job and I could do a custom bulk order when they aren't otherwise ordering more.

I use the purina rabbit show pellets. Pick a food and stick to it. Most people pick a quality pellet you can get locally.

I buy Select Series Pro (a Manna Pro company product) myself. My chins love it. My first chin came with a low quality pet store food with the "treats" in it. I went to switch them, doing it slowly so he would get used to it. From the first day he started only eating the Select Series, and not touching his old food. The second chin i took in was the same way. I was in shock lol.

Sorry for the double post.

As far as the brats go bait them into your yard and frozen paintball practice is on!!!!! If anyone can get a pic or video of them even opening boxes call police and report them.

Ive always wanted to try that! :thumbsup:

When i was younger i played paint ball once on a day that was far to cold. The balls started freezing. ... Lota fun, let me tell you...

yeah i have to drive a little bit to find a store that sells food healthy and good for my chins but its worth it giving them the good stuff. on a side note maybe teach the brats a little lesson before you're 18? *.*

or set them up since taking mail is a federal offense? at least here it is i dont know im no lawyer. just a decisive 17 year old.

You may be able to have the company ship your food to the local post office and have the PO hold it for you until you come and pick it up. Good luck!

That's awful!!! A bunch of kids messing with your mail!! It's is against federal law, and you could do a few different things. And I'm vindictive so these could help you.
1) I SO agree with the paintball thing
2) VIDEO TAPE THEM
3)If you know anyone who has a dog that doesn't like strangers... "He/She slipped out the door"
4)Modify it to have a lock or something.
5)Get some eggs, and 3,2,1 THROW!!!
6)Watch them, and follow them to their homes and talk to their family
7) I STRONGLY suggest the paintball thing.

Back