A hay comparison (Please Read)

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Laluvschins

I been buying my boys kms hay and they love it but here lately seems they not too interested. I was thinking about getting some Standlee timothy hay....anyone had experience with this hay??? Thank you so much for your responses ����

I would try Oxbow.
I used Kaytee since it was the first thing I could buy at the time(I was surprised with him, and had little money to start out) and he ate it. That hay was browner than I would have liked so I pitched it and bought some Oxbow. He devoured it like it was the best thing he's ever had. He eats more of it than he did, quicker too. So I would give that a go if you want to change hay. I've never heard of Standlee or seen it around here.

Petco(or Petsmart, I can never remember) had a sale on the Oxbow hay. Buy two get a third free, so I bought two small bags of Timothy and one bag of Alfalfa. :)

All of the Standlee hay I've seen has looked good, but I've never used it myself. Our local TSC sells it in Timothy and Alfalfa bales.

There is always one in my village that can't agree on hay, I used the Standlee alfalfa bale, two ate it with no problems, the village ding-a-ling thought it was poison.

I use Standlee Timothy. Out of about 80 chins there are a couple who are stubborn but the majority of my herd likes it. I also give cubes as well. My local TSC used to only carry the Alfalfa but a few months back they FINALLY started carrying the Timothy as well...

I think a lot depends on how many chins you have as far as deciding what hay to use and where to get it... If you only have a couple to feed you have a LOT more feasible options but if you need large quantities you are a bit more limited.

Last edited:
Standlee comes as a bale. For the most part, I have had good hay with the company. However the last bale had mold. Black mold. So I had to throw it out onto the garden. Went to Dr. Foster and Smith and bought a large bale of Oxbow Timothy when they had free shipping. No picky eaters with the chins or the bunny.

Could you get hay from a farmer or horse stable? Think that there would be something close to you. I get a bale from a farmer near me for $10. Nice and fresh and Idgie loves it.

I use the Standlee. Oxbow is stupidly expensive no matter what size you buy, and people seriously, it's just hay. It isn't made out of gold. You can get a 50 pound bale of the Standlee for what it costs to get a small bag from Oxbow. Not even remotely worth it.

I've been using Standlee for a couple years and all my chins really like it.

I use the Standlee. Oxbow is stupidly expensive no matter what size you buy, and people seriously, it's just hay. It isn't made out of gold. You can get a 50 pound bale of the Standlee for what it costs to get a small bag from Oxbow. Not even remotely worth it.

I've been using Standlee for a couple years and all my chins really like it.

Oxbow is SO expensive!!!! Its astounding! But the only other stuff I get at local pet stores is the Kaytee which I've never found to be great quality (often smells stale and is very brown....) but I haven't managed to find any good hay anywhere else! I dont think we have any farm stores or anything around here :/ Its frustrating because my guinea pig is a hay fiend (my chinchilla couldnt care less about his hay, but my piggie hardly touches pellets and will go through a huge pile of hay in a couple of hours) so I go through quite a bit, and the Oxbow is so pricey. I'm going to have to look into better options in my area :/

Back