A Frame Cage

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dragonflye

I was just surfing the web today and came upon the following site:

http://www.4jsplantation.com/cages.html

I think the A Frame cage is a cool design and was wondering if anyone has ever used/made a cage like this. It is alot of wasted space at the top compared to the regular rectangular cages, but it is kind of a cool idea, when done right (ie.- made in a way that chins couldn't chew the crap out of it). I would slide a Bass pan in the bottom of this...

(Note: not advocating the site, just admiring the housing design.)

I don't know - when you think about it, most chins just sleep on the top level of their cage anyway so should be enough room for that.

Someone on CnQ built it. I remember seeing it when they put their chins up for sale. It didn't strike me as even remotely practical with the loss of space. It's cute, but I cant imagine why anyone would want to build it when with a few inches more each way, they could have a spaceous cage with room for ledges, etc.

I do like the shelf placement, and how 'fall proof' it is.

I remember a member on here purchased that cage and was very happy with it. It looked really nice when decked out with fleece, etc. I liked that their shelves all tilted a bit downward, so poo would roll off. :))

If I was handy and had materials on hand and wanted to play around, I'd build one for fun. My dad used to build all of my cages, it was fun to see what we could create. But now I'm married to a man who couldn't build a birdhouse if he wanted, and my shop class creations were less than fabulous, so I will stick to buying pre-made... and I wouldn't purchase a mostly wooden cage.

If I was handy and had materials on hand and wanted to play around, I'd build one for fun. My dad used to build all of my cages, it was fun to see what we could create. But now I'm married to a man who couldn't build a birdhouse if he wanted, and my shop class creations were less than fabulous, so I will stick to buying pre-made... and I wouldn't purchase a mostly wooden cage.

Yeah, I would definitely make modifications- use melamine where I could. It is not practical for me, but it's different and fun.

My hubby is not handy and I'm not so much either. My next husband will be though... ;)

I saw this cage in person and while I thought it was unique and almost bought it from a member here, it just seemed a little impractical to me. It's not as big as I thought either.

Wow, that looks small inside. It's a good view of the slanted shelves that were mentioned.

I have one of these and I love mine! While I agree it is on the small side and very hard to decorate, I have managed to put a tube on one side, a hammock at the top and various bowls on the sides of the cage where there is not shelving. In the bottom drawer, I have her marble slab and a wood hidey house we use for her hay. With that and all the included shelving, Zoe has plenty of room to run and create havoc.

I bought this cage for my beige, Zoe who is as anti social as they come, so it is actually the perfect cage for her. She has no problems at all running and zipping around the cage at full speed and and its actually very easy to clean. The back shelf is a bit cumbersome to reach, but since she does not like to be held, I'm not too worried about it and she only spends a short time up there anyway, usually when I am doing food or water bottles.

But for the price I got it for, and since the builder only lives an hour or so away from me and cut me a deal on shipping, I think I have a great cage for my fur monster. I think it's one of those things "to each his own".

Back