A few more questions about modifying my chin's cage...

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aubs17

I have read a lot on here, but I can't go through every thread and I feel like I have some specifics that need to be answered. I know I have a lot of questions and any help would be great!

My two chinchillas have had the same cage for the two years that I've had them, but I really can't remember the name or even the brand of it. I've been looking around these forums though, and it either is the "FN 142" as I've seen it called, or a cage very similar to it. There aren't any modifications on it at all, it's just in the standard, out of the box form.

I've always just had a layer of bedding on the very bottom, in the slide out tray that it comes with. They have recently chewed a hole in a corner of the tray though, large enough for them to escape out of, which is what sparked my interest in modifying the cage.

I would like to just put some sort of tile on the bottom to replace the tray, so one of my concerns about modifying the cage, is what will happen without the bedding tray there? I have seen some cages on here with just a small pan with bedding in it. If I do that, will the chins know to use it? Can they be "potty trained" after being able to use the bathroom freely their whole lives? I realize they will probably still poop anywhere, but what about urine?

Also, there will be a lot of different materials in there they have never been around before, as the cage is currently made up of just the wire framing and plastic shelves. Because of that, I'm wondering if they may have any problems adjusting to the changes? There is currently a marble slab in there, so I don't think the tile will be a big change for them. Do your chins usually chew on the wooden shelves a lot though? Do you have to replace them after so long? Fleece will also be new to them and a big concern for me... I've read on here that it is safe, but my chins are big chewers, and I am not sure how they'll react to it.

All of the posts here for modifying cages are great and have been a big help and inspiration for me! Like I said, I realize I have a lot of questions but any help would be really appreciated! I am just realizing how much better of a home my chins could have and would love to give that to them : )

If I'm visualizing this right, rather than just putting tile on the bottom, I would get a pan from Bass equipment. Then if you want to use tile, you can put it in the pan. The pan would have edges though to help prevent escape.

Most chins urinate in the same spot. Do you notice a spot of shavings where it is mostly urine soaked? If you can find it, that is where you want to place the litter pan and put shavings in it, so they will be encouraged to use it. You might also save some of the urine soaked shavings and put it in the pan as well.

As far as the wood shelves, some chins buzzsaw them quickly, others take a while. Kiln dried pine is very cheap, and most of the lumber yards will cut it for you, so I would just order several of each and keep them on hand. It's really good for them to be chewing on that wood to help keep their teeth worn down, so don't panic if they do munch on it.

Fleece will depend on the chin. I have some chins that ignore it and others that think of it as a chew toy. You'll just have to wait and see.

I began looking through more threads and I realized a pan in the bottom would probably be better as well. So you recommend Bass? I was looking through their site and I haven't found a pan that will fit. I need about 20"x30" and would prefer something deeper than the 1.5" they have if I can find it. Are there any other places similar to Bass you know of I should check out?

I only have one chin that excessively chews on her shelves. Even then, she has had the shelves for close to a year and I'm not needing to replace them yet.

Yes, I think anytime you move things around in a chins cage there is an adjustment period. But I think your chins will be happy with this change. They love to jump and seem to enjoy having many different levels of shelving to jump to.

As Menagerie said, Bass does custom orders, and if you call they can make the pans as deep as 3".

Welcome to the forum! :))

Thanks for the help!
I've already gotten a pan custom ordered for them and hopefully it will be here soon : )

Since I'm getting a pan I don't think tile will really be necessary.. what, if anything, do you recommend putting in the pan?

Some people do shavings, some people do fleece covers. It just depends on what you prefer to use.

Back