A Few Issues...

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morganpanda

Sigma comes home Sunday.

Crazy, right?!

I ordered a Martin's Chinchilla Skyscraper (I believe it's called something like that) with four different levels.

All levels are wire mesh.

Me, being the clever one, decided to sew fleece liners for the top three levels so that Siggy doesn't hurt his feet.

Problem? All of my measurements are off. Completely. I don't know how I messed this up so horribly, but it's certainly not going to protect his feet. I was thinking about just getting a bunch of fleece blankets and kind of piling them ontop of the shelves until I can save up a bit of money (and time) to order a custom cage set that someone, hopefully, with more experience than I can make.

Is this okay? I plan to just put kiln-dried pine on the bottom of the cage until Sigma is more potty-trained.
Are there any other temporary solutions I can have to cover wire mesh floors?

Tiles? :) That's what is all over my chinchillas cage. Maybe put a litter pan with some wood shavings in it or something so he doesn't pee all over the tile.

The wire mesh shouldn't be harmful to the chins' feet. They use 1/2"x1/2" wire so the feet won't slip through at all. You can put in some tiles or ledges or something else if you want the chins have the choice to be up off the wire, but the shelves do not have to be fully covered. The droppings and other things won't fall through if that's the case, and having it fall through is a benefit of having such a cage.

All of my cages have wire floors and shelves and I have never had an issue with them because they have the correct wire spacing. I put in a tile in each cage along with perches and ledges...most chins prefer to stretch out over the wire to sleep..it offers nice ventilation for the chins and they are more comfortable as they lounge around.

Oh no! I hate when my projects end up like that, which they inevitably do! Ha ha! I like what Susan said, they are probably fine without anything for now and may actually enjoy it :)

I like the tile idea mainly because it's so easy to clean, but I'm concerned with the wet spots with a baby chin that isn't potty trained. When he is potty trained (and if my cage can hold it up), I'd like to tile the inside of the cage. :)

Thank you Susan for that peace of mind! I guess it is good that I ordered from a quality cage provider! I did put fleece on the middle floor- just to keep it a bit neater-looking but the rest I'll just leave as mesh (minus a few cuddle spots ;) ).

Yess, it is frustrating when projects like this just don't work out- but I should know better. I'm really not the greatest seamstress and I wasn't planning for this to turn out THAT horribly- but it did. Lol.

At least the scraps are getting some use.

Back