A bale of hay

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

meiying

Chester & Jeffy
So, I finally found a source that would sell me Timothy hay for my chins and guinea pigs. He said the hay actually comes from Alberta, and it is a mixture of Timothy, Alfalfa and orchard grass.... sounds good to me, $14.50 for a 70 pounds bale, thats a lot of hay!!

1) Not sure about the quality of the hay;
2) Not sure if I have room for it;
3) Not sure if I could keep it for too long....

Any advice? Thanks

I just bought a bale of hay 2 weeks ago! Its sitting in the middle of our spare room on top of a garbage bag. I have no idea how to store it, but it was $5 and I couldn't pass it up! From what I've gathered as long as it's stored right it should last for about a year. I think I'm just going to split it up into cardboard boxes and store it either in the spare room or the sun porch for the winter.

Hay, if stored properly will keep for quite a while. I have over three tons in the barn which should last me all winter.

If its just too much maybe donate some to rodent rescues in the area. My chins can be really picky about hay, so I don't commit to a large amount anymore after the last thumbs down to a new bale that I thought looked and smelled great and they thought was discusting.

When I got my hay, I asked if the hay was good for horses. Horse hay is supposed to be good, cow hay, not so much.

70 pounds is a big bale. If you don't have room for it, maybe try to find someone in your area to split it? 35 pounds is still a lot. The bales we get are between 40-50 pounds and they last us quite some time, so even 35 pounds would last you, with two chins, quite some time. If you store the hay right, keep it dry and all, it can last for quite some time. But, you have to have the room to store it. You could always donate some to a rescue if it's too much, I like Dawn's idea.

i only have one chin.
and i order 5lbs of hay every 5 months.
i keep mine in a laundry basket, since it has the holes for it to breathe.
i've never had a problem.
but 70 is definitely a lot.
i would look into rescues around you :)

I have 2 chins, but I also have 2 guinea pigs, and they consume more hay than the chins...
I bought 9lbs of hay and it lasted for about 4 weeks for the chins and the pigs together.

Donation is good too, thats what i suggested to one of the members about 50 pounds of free chinchilla pellets.

I will definately ask him if it is horse hay or cows hay, thanks!!!!!!!

also ask about pesticide use in or near the field the hay was grown in. you want organic hay for your critters, and nothing else.

I buy 40-50lb bales from a guy down the road. He bales it himself for his horses and sells the extra. Timothy, alfalfa, and orchard grass miss my kids love it. I store it in huge hampers on wheels.

When inquiring about hay I always tell them I have 5 chinchillas and I need a bale of timmy so yummy that you might think it would make a good cup of tea.

Back