A Babies!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

threewingedfury

<3 BIG and Blocky <3
Our first litter of the year was just born today. My poor Amber has been miserable for days and I figured she would have quads as she did with her last litter due to her size. I watch her give birth to A1-A4 about an hour and a half ago, 3 beige females and one standard male. I just went out to the barn a few minutes ago and found A5 - standard male! This is my first litter of quints. I'm soooo worried as one of the kits is very very tiny. She did great with her last litter, but I'm uber paranoid of large litters. I'm waiting til they get dried off to weigh them all. This was a litter that I've been very excited over, as Zephyr produced these kits and he's a GSC standard male that wouldn't produce for me for over 2 years and now he's producing like wildfire! Everyone is good sized but this one beige female, she can't be more than 30g, but I could be wrong. I'm going to start rotating soon. Photos to come in a bit! Excuse the excitement.. hehe.

Last edited:
congrats, you do realize you have to post pictures right???! lol! Yay for your A babies, Tif!

This is as best as I can do for now. My grandma helped holding them, she's more proud than I am lol. I'm going to let them settle in before I get more photos.

DSC_0169.jpg

Oh wow, congrats. Such cute little things. Wow, 5 is a lot, no wonder the mom was so miserable. Hope they continue doing well and good luck!

Oh my! What a way to start off the new year! I hope they all do well for you!

That's so odd... I normally have large litters in the summer. Litters in the winter are normally singles or twins. Do you notice any trends with litter size in your herd?

You lucky duck, still nothing for the year yet here... :(

Do you have another female with kits? I'd be prepared to foster some of those out if you can, that's always been my best luck with large litters.

Nothing for me yet either... I've been waiting on one of my Shoots gals to litter and she just doesn't want to go. I don't have any other females here showing signs of late pregnancy.

Sumiko - you know, now that you mention it, this winter has given me A LOT of large litters. I normally have single kit litters and I had very very many of them last year, but since Fall they've increased in number except with a couple of breedbacks. I'll have to keep up with numbers and start seeing how things do.

Unfortunately I don't have any other females expecting at this time and all of the other females are weaning their kits off at 6 weeks. My last litter was trips, so that mama is already miserable with HUGE kits too. I'm just gonna have to handfeed most likely.

Weights:

Beige female - 30g
Beige female - 52g
Beige female - 49g
Std male - 49g
Std male - 43g

I already started rotating and keeping the little 30g one in with two others. I'm just going to switch out the two other females with the two males every 2 hrs. I noticed they were fighting already, so I don't have much of a choice at this time. The little one is eating well though.

Back