420 Chinchillas Rescued

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tunes glad you brought up water bowls they were using those for water & feed. I don't know where they got the information on using water bowls, and plastic wheels. The feed DID NOT have junk food just pellets.

I have a sneaking suspicion that this branch of the humane society is now inundated with emails on how to CORRECTLY care for chinchillas. So how else can those of us who are far away help this situation, if we can at all? It sucks hearing about these poor little guys going from a crappy situation to a potentially way worse one.

My point was dawn, that if they are going to ruin a persons reputation to do it using the truth. Yes they bred without pedigrees and used fur chewers... but that's not what petas basis for 'rescuing' them was. It was all about the pelting which hadn't been done on this ranch for many yrs. I admit they were not good breeders and I didn't support how they handled their breeding practices, but a lie is still a lie. I'm already seeing posts on people who are adopting chins with the intent to breed. I know someone finally got through to the humane society and is editing their care sheet. So hopefully people will get more correct info when they take the chins home (if they bother to read it).

All the persian lines, goldbar lines, lowe recessive white lines, .com lines..... all are imported from US pelters. I'm sure there are more but those are a few I can remember off the top of my head.

What reputation is being ruined, that is the question. The herd could never be sold otherwise as a whole-these were poor quality animals that were good for nothing but pets and I question the pet part, what a nightmare to allow this amount of low quality animals to be released to the public in a come and git em manner, this is going to be a real issue in CA like we don't have enough poor quality rescues as it is.

The situation could have and should have been avoided if these people had stopped breeding, let the animals die off, be sold and not be replaced, its not like they did not know they should be retiring, and for that they deserve the bad publicity they are getting and the bashing of the repuation, and like I said, what reputation are we talking about, everyone who participates in the chinchilla scene in CA knew they were a mill.

Dawn, I think the reputation being ruined is that of ANY chinchilla breeder. Anyone who uses runs...anyone who has purchased from a pelting herd...anyone who has EVER medicated a chinchilla at home...cause trust me, that's where it's going.

Do I agree with this breeders practices? I'm sure everyone on this site knows by now my "mad pedigree obsession"...don't have one, don't breed it...don't show? don't breed...I'm not so much worried about THIS breeder but the future and reputation of EVERY breeder which is the ultimate PETA goal. Discredit and vilify EVERY chinchilla breeder past and present.

On that note, for those who don't know...PETA kills more animals annually than they help. They are considered by many a domestic terrorist group. They do not believe in breeding but furthermore, do not believe in pet OWNERSHIP.

Also, I think what is irritating a LOT of people...is the word "rescue" being used in conjunction with this PURCHASE. You know, early this year I had my hand in the rescue of 54 chinchillas that were literally DYING daily. They were in the worst shape you've EVER seen a chinchilla in...people wanted to help, people DID help...BUT when a fundraiser was set up with a goal at $5400 (equaling $100 per animal) the effort was reported as being a hoax?!? No joke, a rescue effort that involved at LEAST half a dozen people having DIRECT contact with sick and dying animals...a hoax? At least half a dozen people from several STATES...a hoax?!? THEN! Then, trying to raise $100 for the care of each animal was labeled (seriously, people outright said these things) exorbitant! With a bit over half of the money raised...the fund raiser was closed by those who opened it to save themselves the hassle and harassment.

So...this touches base personally with me. While I do not agree with VV's breeding practices...while I think they were large scale BYB's...this was NOT a rescue. You want to see what a rescue looks like...a rescue that people thought weren't worth $100 PER ANIMAL for care...click through the FIRST HAND photos below :(

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 23
  • 1896741_10152214845327230_171385713_n.jpg
    1896741_10152214845327230_171385713_n.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 22
  • 1922444_10152258648537230_123076656_n.jpg
    1922444_10152258648537230_123076656_n.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 22
  • 1932459_10152259476067230_574124709_n.jpg
    1932459_10152259476067230_574124709_n.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 23
Wanted to add that I FEEL for the west coast. This is not only dumping 400+ chinchillas in the immediate vicinity...but it's dumping 400 DIRT CHEAP chinchillas, plus possible offspring if any of the females were bred (someone said males were separated months ago)...PLUS the offspring of those that are adopted out and intentionally bred (it's already an issue)...so for that, I really feel for anyone in CA (and surrounding states) that is a legit breeder or rescue. This is going to hurt selling/adopting prices...it's going to hurt your ability to sell/adopt for a LONG time...it's going to drive many out of the hobby I feel and that truly saddens me.

I agree with Dawn that retirement should've started a while ago and could've been "slower". Not everyone does things right though...but I also agree with every legit breeder out there that this is going to raise a HUGE stink for breeders who ARE doing things right :(

I think what's driving me the most nuts about this is the posts from people on facebook about how the chinchillas were rescued from "those horrible tiny cages." I have my large double FNs for the rescue chins, and I have my runs. I mean, how else would you keep large numbers of chins for breeding? Oh wait, breeding in general is bad.

I think maybe what people don't get, is these aren't dogs. I've tried posting on some of the facebook posts, but I give up. But I mean, this is how I think bout it. For dogs, breeders use kennels. Lots of time I see two dogs (or more) in a 5 x 10 kennel. For chins, we have a female chin (and a male, at times) in one run. Realistically, isn't that about the same size animal per amount of space? I mean, it's a lot smaller for the chin, but the chin itself, is a heck of a lot smaller. And unlike dogs, which maybe have up to 8-10 puppies, for the medium/large breeds, we generally get 1-2 babies per litter. Every 4 months. Versus most dogs litter every 2 months. I don't think people know these things. Not sure it would make any difference, but there's quite the disconnect here....

I'm upset with it being called a rescue. That's my main thing. I don't think that many chins should have been given to any organization that doesn't either deal specifically with small animals, or better yet, with chins specifically. That's great if they're gonna neuter the males, but maybe they should have also spayed the females, or at least, held them until they were sure they weren't pregnant.

So many things could have been done differently.

Any of you who have not read Maxine's write up on the truth of the matter needs to do so. I am not saying I agree with their practices, I don't but there is a lot of information that is being left out here. The write up is in the newest issue of "The Breeder."

Would that be the ECBC Breeder? I don't belong to ECBC and the shows aren't close enough for it to be practical that I join... would anyone be nice enough to somehow scan it for me or somehow otherwise get me a copy?

I recommend contacting Maxine - there has been a lot of interest by non-members in obtaining it already, so I am assuming that's the best way to go about it.

It's been posted on FB that adoptions & viewings have been halted at this time as the chinchillas aren't transitioning well and they may lose some. This happens when...uh...well...you rip them from the only environment they've ever known...throw them into an entirely new environment...let any Joe Shmoe who wants to poke, prod, peek at them do so...feed them god only knows what after seeing their care sheet...yeah, not transitioning well...I bet

I totally agree with Vyxxin in ALL that she has said. Surprise, surprise that they aren't adjusting well especially being feed raisins, other fruits, veg. and nuts. Yup real surprise !!

I have had several people post after me thanking me for telling them the real truth about chinchilla care. They said they since changed their minds about adopting - too much work and worry. I am not against people getting chins, obviously since I breed chins. I am against people only wanting them because they are $25.00 and they know nothing about them! Of course they are going to lose some, the morons. They are spouting all kinds of incorrect information and the ones that are suffering from it are the chins.

Not to mention the lack of quarantine...MY GOD! I mean, anyone who does "rescue"...even out of the kindness of their heart (there are several on this forum)...KNOWS a one month quarantine is minimum. There's a reason for that. ANY time a chinchilla changes homes...it's immune system is weakened temporarily AND their normal flora/fauna needs to adjust...these idiots at the humane society, well, apparently they didn't realize the 100K was not just "free money". They wanted to get who they could out the door immediately. Problem being, even if the animals weren't sick to begin with...they could be now due to so much shuffling around...and guess what? SOME of those chins already have new cagemates in their new homes :( sickening...

Posted an hour ago on FB: Hey everybody. I'm new to the chinchilla community. I just adopted a male and female from the San Diego humane society. Recently they received 400 of these little critters from a couple hoarders and they need good homes. These are my first and I am definitely looking forward to learning more about my new pets.

SMH...

The male was neutered, but we all should know they can still impregnate for a time afterwards...doubt they gave that info out at the shelter...and the new owner IS making an effort to self educate but MAN the HS really screwed the pooch on this one...these animals should've been held a bit before adoption...

Last edited:
Joining ECBC is only $25/year for new members. Many say the monthly educational material is worth it even if there are no shows nearby; such is the case for all our International and East Coast members, although ECBC is trying to hold more events further East to accommodate it's Eastern US members as well. I highly recommend everyone reading the full story in "The Breeder". You can't listen to PETA'S propaganda and the media's twisted story.

On Facebook, I am already seeing lots of posts of people who have adopted these cheap chins and already have them in breeding. Some have even adopted the newly - neutered males who are already caged with another chin and not being allowed time to recover in peace. Many were given unhealthy and unsafe freebie items such as pet store treats and plastic exercise balls. It's just a mess.

If it means anything, I emailed the Human Society and they already emailed me back saying they were going to look into it. This is exactly what I was told:

Thanks for your email and your concern, Stephanie.

I’m cc’ing Danielle and Stacey, in charge of animal care and our website, respectively, on this message. We will address the issue and make sure our information is correct.

Thank you for bringing this to our attention.

Shannon

They better address it VERY soon before chinchillas start dying, assuming none did yet. :/

Back