2 Pregnant females together?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrweaw

If 2 pregnant females are normally housed together can they continue to be housed together after they give birth? I have never done that with Chins before but when I bred rabbits (forever ago) I had several females that actually preferred the company of their sisters when they had litters. I don't want to endanger the babies so any experiences with this would be much appreciated.
Thanks,
Erin

I breed in quite a few colonies. I've never had to separate the moms before. I have had to pull dad out to avoid breedbacks and trampling, but the mom's do fine together.

That's not to say ALL females will get along like that - I've just been lucky.

I too usually leave the females together. Often they help each other. There are rare cases of females attacking others or kits though so first time moms in with others really need close watching

Thanks for the info. That is the experience I have had with other breeding mammals but every species is different so advice from more experienced people is always great. I'll try it out and hopefully I will be lucky too :)

This is great advise. I had a similar question as I have two females with kits currently.

That's really interesting!
I love this forum. Honestly, I'd love to breed some day when I'm much older, well prepared, have a large house, etc, etc, etc, to make some really great pets-that would be my goal-because not enough people have heard of chinchillas. I'm always surprised how many people come over to my house and shout "WHAT IS THAT?!" When they see one of my chins ^_^ haha. But I won't even think about it until I graduate and move into my own house.

http://www.petfinder.com/pet-search?location=Scotland, SD&animal=Small&Furry&breed=Chinchilla&

There are plenty of people making pet chinchillas already. See the link above to see how many have been dumped into rescue. If you're going to breed, you need to consider what will happen to the offspring. People coming over and going gaga over a chin in your house, in your care, is a ton different than people wanting to take care of an animal for 25 years. If you want to show people what a chin is, build a website. That's not a good enough reason to breed. If you want to breed "pet" chins, then buy top quality animals, the best animals you can get, from an experienced, ethical breeder. Show chins make just as good of pets as rescue chins, and instead of flooding the market with more junk animals (genetically), you'l be providing healthy, good quality chins.

Show quality is definitely what I meant. If I ever get into the breeding business, I'd start my colony by going to, well, everyone here, and getting some of your beauties =] But that's years in the future.

Back