2 chins,better then 1?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maggie:-)

So I've had my chin Maggie for a year now and I would like to get another.
But I want it to eventually live in Maggie's cage with her. I know there is no way to know if she will get along with another chin. BUT can someone tell me how likely it will be that they will get along?
And would it be better to get a baby or an adult?!
It's not really necessary for her to have a friend. Her cage is in a busy room in my house and everyone stops to scratch her and talk to her as they walk by.
Does anyone have an opinion on if they are happier alone or together?
I wish I had just gotten 2 to begin with.
I know there would be a 30 day quarantine and everything like that. I just want to know everyone's opinions on 1 or 2 chins.
Also how does a chin show that they do not like another chin??
Barking?
Maggie never makes much noise. I've heard her bark once before when I first gr her. And she makes a squeak noise when really excited but that's it.

BUT can someone tell me how likely it will be that they will get along?

Nope, absolutely no way to tell.

And would it be better to get a baby or an adult?!

Most people say that it is easier to introduce a baby to an adult chin, as the baby won't be as territorial or aggressive. Honestly I've always had better luck with introducing older chins as they didn't get a hormone surge during their teenage years and decide they wanted to be the dominant one. Once again, it's going to depend on the chin.

Does anyone have an opinion on if they are happier alone or together?

Another individual chin basis. They can be perfectly happy alone as long as you give them attention. I have one chin that hates other chins, several pairs that have been together for years, and several that were bonded but ended up fighting and had to be separated.

Also how does a chin show that they do not like another chin??

Kacking, chasing, fur pulling, chasing, teeth chattering, spraying.

I tried to get buddies for my chins. I now have 4 chinchillas who live separate but equal lives. Actually, my original girl gets a bit jealous when I give attention to the others. Just make sure you're getting the 2nd chin because you want it, not just for the purpose of giving your girl a friend. Hope for the best, but be prepared for the worst (two of everything) just in case.

Thank you for the answers.
I would like another but I think I would really like it more if they could be in the same cage so I'm not going to take the chance.
As far as I can tell she is happy the way she is so I'm not going to mess with that.

Back