1st time Blue Diamonds shown at Empress show 2012 Heartland

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Niels told me they are called blue diamond's because of well the blue coloring, and that they actually appear to sparkle in sunlight, much like a diamond. When the first group came in, I tried to get a pic of them in the sunlight, but the photos never captured it. I guess I never thought about video... that might have.

Blue Diamond's got their name from Coby Bouwens. Bert and Coby Bouwens and Ivan Ongley were the first to create this new color in 2001. They had a Beige Violet male called "Diamond" that produced one of these first new ice blue colored chinchillas. They had produced several of this new color and decided the new color needed a name. Coby came up with the name "Blue Diamond" and Bert and Ivan agreed on the name for them.

Okay, there was some debate about the male... the first diamond born to Ivan was out of a Std v/c male

The first diamond born to Bouwen's was out of a Beige Ultra Violet male and a beige violet female.

Both were born the same year, 2001, so I'm not sure which was born first, but from what I understand it was Ivan's. :D

They're beautiful! I can't wait to see how this mutation continues to grow and develop!

It's blue in all lights, like I said the pics just don't show what you see in person well. You can see the color a bit better if you look at the animal in Mark's avatar, but it doesn't show the sparkle they have in the sunlight. The male(s) were both called Diamond ( their name ) because of how they sparkled, although they were not "Blue Diamond's" at this point.

I have done a lot of research prior to these and was putting together an article which has been put aside for other reasons regarding them. There are basically two different schools of thought on them, but they all basically originated from the same group.

Also... for the genetics people out there.... I realize that you can't get a Blue Diamond from just a std v/c... but that's how the story goes, there was apparently more genetics going on in there than just that. ;D

The Blue Diamonds are at the judges discretion on whether to be judged in Sapphire or Violet class. There were no Sapphires or Violets at Heartland show, so they were judged as their own class. Yes, I will bring some to both ECBC and MCBA Nat'l shows for everyone to see.

Mark,

Will you be entering them into the ECBC / MCBA Nationals shows? Or just bringing them for others to see? Either which way I look forward to seeing them! Years back now I was given a violet saphire carrier male from an older rancher that was looking to get that cross. She was hoping that I would continue to work on that line, but the male had too many genetic issues for me to breed him.

Cheryl

I will be showing 2-3 Blue Diamonds at both ECBC and MCBA Natl's. I will bring some males to sell as well as long as I still have some available. The Blue Diamonds from Denmark have been developed the right way for good fur quality, great fertility, and strong health. They are an excellent tool to work with. I am very happy with the offspring I have produced in the last year I've had my BD male. I will have both a Violet and a Sapphire at the show out of my BD male. The quality they produce is very good. They were definitely developed the right way.

Back