11 Month Old Chin has Dark Urine?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tmburton

Hi all,

We adopted a chinchilla in June who was born around the end of November last year, and we adopted her to be a friend for our 7 year old female, Houdini. The two of them get along fabulously and are both pretty good about using their litter boxes.

The new chinchillas (Mars) has always had a little habit of peeing on the floor (in addition to peeing in her litterbox) but recently (the last few days) I have noticed the color of urine go from yellowish to a darker orange-brown.

She seems perfectly happy, she's still eating pellets and hay and drinking water like normal. She is still running happily around the cage and annoying her older roommate like nothing is wrong :hilarious:

I'm only concerned because of the color of the urine. I have read multiple posts on this site and others about it, and I understand it could be because of many factors. Since she isn't having any symptoms of feeling under the weather, do I need to take her into the vet? I'm certainly not worried that she is sick, but I wanted some feedback from the pros here. I've had chinchillas for well over 10 years and none of them have had darkened urine like this before. Maybe I just got lucky? :)

Thanks in advance,
Tennille

It is normal for chin urine to be very dark. Many people are alarmed when they see it for the first time. It can appear almost like blood or a deep brown color.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is it normal for it to be very dark when it has been yellow up until this point? I just noticed it 2 days ago turning this dark orange color.

I will take her to the vet if need be I just don't know if it is really cause for concern.

Yes, it can vary in color. As long as she is still eating/drinking normally and doesn't appear to be in pain when urinating or incontinent, I'm sure she's fine. :))

Ok, great. She is still eating and drinking normally and hopping around like a nut! I haven't actually seen her pee but she seems to do it more when nobody is around.

I'll keep an eye on her and take her to the vet if anything changes :)

Thanks again!

Back