❗️❗️❗️ PLEASE HELP! Chinchilla lethargic after overheating ❗️❗️❗️

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
❗❗❗️ PLEASE HELP! Chinchilla lethargic after overheating ❗❗❗

Last night I was cleaning the chinchillas' cage, as I'm going out of town today. One of my chinchillas was overheating, she was lethargic/unresponsive and warm to the touch. In my panic I put her up to an ice pack, which I now remember is a big no-no. She seems to be recovering well, but is still lethargic. She's been eating and her temp is down, but I don't know why she is still acting off. Can I get any help? I haven't seen the right information I need online. Thank you so much ❤️❤️❤️

I would get her to the vet as soon as you can, like as soon as they open. Overheating can cause organ damage as well as brain damage so it's best to get her checked out. How hot was it in the room? and for how long? What caused her to overheat, like did the AC break or something? and is it fixed/replaced and cooled down in the room she is in now?

In the future the best way to cool them down would be to put them in the fridge (with the door open!). Or you can take a ice pack and wrap it in fleece so they can't chew it and it's not too cold and lay them on that. You can also place a glass bowl in the freezer and put them in that when it's cold enough. Chin chiller (granite tiles) are also good to have on hand, you can put them in the fridge so they are good to go when needed.

I would get her to the vet as soon as you can, like as soon as they open. Overheating can cause organ damage as well as brain damage so it's best to get her checked out. How hot was it in the room? and for how long? What caused her to overheat, like did the AC break or something? and is it fixed/replaced and cooled down in the room she is in now?

In the future the best way to cool them down would be to put them in the fridge (with the door open!). Or you can take a ice pack and wrap it in fleece so they can't chew it and it's not too cold and lay them on that. You can also place a glass bowl in the freezer and put them in that when it's cold enough. Chin chiller (granite tiles) are also good to have on hand, you can put them in the fridge so they are good to go when needed.
The room wasn't very hot at all, she was just playing a little too hard I guess? She's back in her cage now (she was in the bathroom) and it's very cool. I've kept a close eye on her and she seems to be doing well, just resting. That's what I've heard from others, she's probably just tired out from being overheated, because she's been eating and seems like her normal self, but just tired lol. When she was hot I used an ice pack with paper towels over it and it seemed to work good, almost too good. I was a bit scared I cooled her down too much too fast. But I think she's okay now?

If she is just tired not acting lethargic then she might be ok. It's best if you can try to keep the temp below 70F for playtime, personally if it's above 68F/20C my guys don't come out to play.

Back