I made these hay cookies, your opinion is greatly appreciated.

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shopaholic0514

So, I was being creative today, and I made these hay cookies and hay sticks here they are, and feel free to judge, or give suggestions. I have to let them dry and then give them to my boys, see if they like them.
IMAG0755.jpg

IMAG0756.jpg

So, this is how I made them, I need variety kind of hay, whatever kind of herbs I have, Oat meal, their pellets, plastic wrap, cookie cutters and boba tea straws.
IMAG0733.jpg

IMAG0737.jpg

IMAG0739.jpg

Last edited:
IMAG0738.jpg

Then I made the hay and pellets into powder and mixed them.
IMAG0741.jpg

IMAG0746.jpg

Cooked the oat meal and mixed it with the hay mixture:
IMAG0749.jpg

Then I cut the boba tea straw in 3 parts and pushed the mixture into the straw to shape, then I used a chopstick to push it out. That is the hay sticks.
IMAG0750.jpg

IMAG0751.jpg

IMAG0752.jpg

And for the cookies, I used the cookie cutter to shape them then I just pressed some herbs on top of them.
IMAG0753.jpg

IMAG0754.jpg

I heated them up in the microwave for 1 minute and them I just placed them near the window and wait for them to dry up.
What do you guys think???

Last edited:
A couple hours is not to bad. If I tried it would have taken all day and night..lol! Let me know if you end up making more and then selling a few.

baking for chins is so much fun! that reminds me, i'm due to make more hay cookies, lol.

i would suggest baking the next batch you make. put the oven on as low as possible, and bake them until they are dry right through. this way there won't be any moisture inside the middle of them to potentially grow mold.

baking for chins is so much fun! that reminds me, i'm due to make more hay cookies, lol.

i would suggest baking the next batch you make. put the oven on as low as possible, and bake them until they are dry right through. this way there won't be any moisture inside the middle of them to potentially grow mold.
I will do that next time! Thanks! And do you use the same ingredients?

when i make mine, i also bake them at a low temp until they are hard. i dont cook my oatmeal first, i grind it up and just mix it in but that is a good idea to thicken up the mix. i use hay dust from the bottom of the bag, crushed pellets and i crush up my herbal mix with some oats. after i mix it with my hands (very sticky) before i get it to the point where i can roll/smooth is out, i do sprinkle a pinch of the whole oats. i use the tiny cookie cutters and even at that, i break them in half. out of 10 chins, only 1 really doesnt like them that much. sometimes i find them under his fleece liner!
they really are fun to make. i love the idea of the hay tube thingies that you made.

i was thinking of rolling a piece of apple wood in the mixture and baking it next time. double whammy treat!!

Those are very creative. I will have to try and make those sometime soon! :) When I make them, I think I will mix in some supplement (oats, flaxseed, wheat germ, wheat bran, etc) and see how they like them! :)

Back