How to keep her cool on hot days?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tikibirds

Not sure where to post this...anyways

I live in Fairbanks, Alaska - which is not known for hot weather. However tomorrow is going to be a record breaking 81 and then the next two days are supposed to be 89!

I live in a small studio apartment - 280 Sq Feet (not much room, a dog, 2 betta tanks and a chinchilla cage :banghead: ). And this time of the year it's a good 25 or more degreese hotter in here then it is outside. I have one small window that opens about 7 or so inches and 2 fans. Air conditioning is rather unheard of here (as is indoor plumbing)..
Right now its about 80 inside but its 60 outside, even with 2 fans on.

How do I keep my chin from overheating the next few days? :hair:

If you don't have air conditioning you need to take her somewhere that does. If I'm reading this correctly your apartment will be around 100-110 degrees which is WAY too hot for a chin. A fan will not help. Do you know anyone with air conditioning? If not I'd recommend checking into a cheap motel with airco to ride out the heatwave. If your apartment was getting to maybe 80 degrees I'd think chin-chillers and frozen water bottles (covered) would be enough but not for any temp over 80 (in my opinion). I also think you can get a small portable air conditioner rather than a window unit...in short, with that kind of heat you need an air conditioner to keep your chin safe. Good luck!

I could not agree more with what Andrea posted. It does sound like your apartment will get over 80 degrees! You also have to take humidity into consideration, that can add to heat temps. If you cannot get an a/c in your apartment then you need to put your chin in a carrier and go to a hotel/motel with air conditioning for the next few days. There is nothing that can keep your chin cool in those temps other than a/c.

If you don't have air conditioning you need to take her somewhere that does. If I'm reading this correctly your apartment will be around 100-110 degrees which is WAY too hot for a chin. A fan will not help. Do you know anyone with air conditioning? If not I'd recommend checking into a cheap motel with airco to ride out the heatwave. If your apartment was getting to maybe 80 degrees I'd think chin-chillers and frozen water bottles (covered) would be enough but not for any temp over 80 (in my opinion). I also think you can get a small portable air conditioner rather than a window unit...in short, with that kind of heat you need an air conditioner to keep your chin safe. Good luck!

In this case, you are going to have to get her somewhere with AC. Short term solutions like frozen water bottles and chillers are not effective enough in this situation.

Air conditioning is unheard of there? I can understand that in Alaska, but you don't have anywhere around you that sells window units?? A small window unit is around $200? You are going to need A/C. A chin can't survive in temps like that.

Air conditioner, plain and simple. There is NO way around it. If you aren't able to get an a/c, then you need to take your chinchilla somewhere that does. But really, you NEED to have an a/c. Are you telling us it never gets warmer than 70-75 degrees in your apartment?

Air conditioning is unheard of there? I can understand that in Alaska, but you don't have anywhere around you that sells window units?? A small window unit is around $200? You are going to need A/C. A chin can't survive in temps like that.

Or even a portable unit that can be vented through the window.

is a frozen water bottle exactly what it sounds like? i have a/c but im just curious.....in case i ever need something extra to help my little guys out

Irish, yes, it's a frozen water bottle wrapped in fleece and put in the cage for the chins to lay on/beside and cool down.

Irish, yes, it's a frozen water bottle wrapped in fleece and put in the cage for the chins to lay on/beside and cool down.

While froze bottles and chillers can be used in emergency situations, it's not going to help this chin survive for the next three days. I agree with what everyone is saying about the AC. I'd suggest calling vet offices if any of them have AC they may allow you to board her there for a reasonable rate.

Know anybody w/ a basement or root cellar? It's not ideal, but until you can find an air conditioned option, underground is generally cooler than above. Frozen water bottles/granite tile and hanging out in a basement could mean the difference between "grumpy but okay" and "heat stroke" for your babies.

Air conditioner, plain and simple. There is NO way around it. If you aren't able to get an a/c, then you need to take your chinchilla somewhere that does. But really, you NEED to have an a/c. Are you telling us it never gets warmer than 70-75 degrees in your apartment?

That is EXACTLY what I am telling you. I live 2 hrs south of the arctic circle. The ave summer temp is 50F. AC is simply NOT sold here, no place HAS ac either. Not the post office, local shops, or university. The few hotels in town are booked solid cause of the holiday weekend, they do not take pets anyways and only 1 of them had AC.

Humidity is not an issue. Interior alaska is very dry and gets very little rainfall or snowfall for that matter.

As for the vet, she told me to keep a fan on her all weekend long and to have her sit on ice packs.

As for the vet, she told me to keep a fan on her all weekend long and to have her sit on ice packs.

Do not keep a fan on her. The fan does nothing to cool her off and the constant draft can cause dangerous respiratory issues.

Nothing can substitute an a/c, and nothing can keep the chin sitting on an icepack constantly...

OK you will need to order an air conditioner online and get it there for the future. I understand you are in Alaska and its usually cold etc but the weather everywhere is changing whether we like it or not and its going to keep doing so .Its not even summer and its hitting that temp so imagine summer! You will need to order a portable a/c with a vent to put out your window. Theres no other choice Its the only way you will be able to keep your chinchilla ( or should I say keep her alive this spring and summer)
You will HAVE to find a place that has air conditioning! Even if its your car.Its not realistic to keep your car running for three days but its not realistic to think your chin will live if you don't find another solution. Find a friend, relative, any kind of animal rescue with A/c or a basement and talk to them asap.
I understand your vet said keep a fan on but chinchillas do not and cannot sweat, blowing hot air on them will do nothing to cool them down like it would humans and animals who can sweat or pant. And as mentioned you can't force a chinchilla to sit on an icepack 24-7 nor will it keep the entire chin cool.

You will probably need to spend all your time the next few days on making sure your chins stay alive. I know that sounds dramatic, but if your apartment gets above 80F, they're in trouble.

I would suggest keeping them in an air conditioned car at spurts of time, and maybe opening the fridge in front of their cage for small amounts of time. Keep all shades down. Try everything you can. But I honestly don't know how your chins are going to survive without AC. Does the vet have AC? Can you move them to a place that doesn't heat up as much as your apartment does? That would make it easier.

My husband is a mechanical engineer who specialized in thermal performance, so I asked him what he would do in your situation.

1. Open the windows in hours of darkness (as long as it's cooler outside than inside).

2. Make sure you have white blinds or white sheets up on all your windows when the sun is up... the white will reflect heat away from your house. Do this for your entire apartment, all rooms.

3. You can set up bagged ice blocks with fans blowing on them. I wouldn't have the fans directly pointed at your cage, but slightly to the side angled towards the cage on each side.

4. Keep frozen chillers in the cage.

5. Buy an indoor thermometer that has both temperature and humidity (I got mine from Walmart for $10) and keep it on the cage so you have an accurate temp.

6. If it gets to hot or to humid crank the ac up in your car and cool the chin off (no drastic hot --> cold however).

And as previously mentioned in other threads, I would recommend investing in a small a/c unit that you can bring out on a "rainy day" for lack of a better phrase. The weather / climates are changing. We had 3 tornadoes within miles of where I live and I live in California! This simply never happens here. So brace yourself and be prepared.

Good luck!

I agree, the climate is changing, we are going to have snow up north here and that never happens and its been cold all spring.

Back