Water on face

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
P

Philogirl

So during bath time, Jack has a tendency to try to stick his face under the faucet. He did this once when we first got him, and I read that they shouldn't get water in their ears or eyes, so I always block him off now or just fill five water bottles before I put him in the sink so there's no running water for him to try and walk through.

How bad is it for hedgies to stick their heads under the water? He seems so eager to do it that I don't want to deprive him of fun in the tub if I don't have to.

It probably isn't such a good idea, while it does sound very cute ( pirate Jack loves a good splash XD )

I have read warnings that it is not safe to leave the faucet running because the water temperature could change without you realizing it. There was a thread on HHC about a poor hedgie who had this happen, the water suddenly ran hot and he had very serious burns.

Water should never be left running while hedgie is in the tub. There have been numerous instances of hedgies being scalded and dieing from their burns when the water suddenly changed temperature.

Water in the ears can cause ear infections but if you have one that doesn't mind water on their face, it's rather hard to stop them from dunking their heads.

If he likes running water, have a bucket full of suitable temperature water and pour it over him using a plastic glass. :D

Hrm... I've never heard of water suddenly changing temperature. I mean, unless you put the hedgie under the water before it's had time to heat up.

Either way, the water in my complex will never get hot enough to scald a hedgie. I know this because when I lived in New York, I could turn the hot tap water on and make tea directly from the faucet. When I moved to Texas, I couldn't. Nor could I generate a steam bath in the bathroom. So I asked the complex managers about it, thinking I had a serious problem with my water heater and they told me they put temperature controllers on the water heaters so that kids couldn't accidentally burn themselves. They keep them standard at about 120 degrees F, which becomes significantly lower once it gets to my tap.

But, in the event that this device breaks or something, I can see how being cautious would be in Jack's best interests. I am hesitant to change this pattern though, because running the water before Jack goes in is a cue to him that it will be bathtime soon and he needs to stop what he's doing, grab a quick snack or whatever because he's getting picked up soon. With his eye and all, I don't want to break routine with him. And the sound of the bath is familiar to him. Like, he knows the difference between running the bath water and brushing our teeth running water. Any suggestions on how to keep the routine, but also keep him safe? Maybe make a Hedgie Bath Butt Barrier!!

You can leave it running and let him get ready, and only turn it off when you put him in. :)

I have had the water change temp on me many many times ( its no fun if your washing your face when it happens lol ) The shower will become hotter both in my family terrace house and my condo unit if someone in the same house flushes a toilet or turns on another tap/shower. I think it has to do with cold water being directed elsewhere.

Also depending on what kind of tap you have, there's the human error factor. The type that slides one way for hot water and the other way for cold can be accidentally bumped without realizing ( i have also had this happen to me in the shower >< )

Bumping it the wrong way and leaving the tap running gave this hedgie 3rd degree burns. He lost all the skin on three feet and some nail as well.

http://hedgehogcentral.com/oldforum/index.php?showtopic=4939&st=0&#entry40447

I don't know why I didn't think of this, but I have the perfect fix... we have two sinks in the bathroom. My boyfriend will NOT let me put poopy feet in his sink, but I can run his water faucet!!!

Muahahahahaha.... so devious :)

I'll start Jack on strict water bottle baths... he's had a rough enough year.

Back