Spring nettles?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Binki

To say that my boy favourite treat is nettles is an understatement: he craves them. He is lucky in that we have an 'on the premises' organic' supply. In the sunken garden, next to the stream. there is a patch with soil so stubbornly poor that only nettles grow, so in the end we decided to screen it out with buddleias and leave it to the butterflies (and to the herons that fish in the weir, in the hope that if the brutes ate enough fish they would spare the mallard ducklings they gobble up in such gruesome manner. As if).

For some atavistic reason, I harvest the nettles late in the year but this winter they died earlier and, to my boy's dismay, in January our last year supply was over. That meant having to harvest spring nettles, which have the advantage of being easier to clean, dehydrate faster and, judging by my boy's ecstatic expression, transforming the stems into yummy 'twiglets' for chins.

My concern is that spring sap normally contains more sugars than in late autumn but I could not find information anywhere as to whether, nettles being bitter, the amount is negligible or not. There are research papers on nettles used to lower blood sugar in humans, so perhaps this is an unnecessary worry. Has anyone has information on this?

Last edited:
I don't really have any info on the sugar content, but I know the best time to harvest is late spring to summer, once it is grown a bit, at least 6-8 inches or so high, but less then a foot and before it goes to flower. If you wait until after the nettle goes to flower it puts all it's energy into the flowers making the nettle more bitter and I read somewhere it can be more likely to cause kidney stones because the leaves contain a higher amount of calcium oxalate once the plant goes to seed.

it can be more likely to cause kidney stones because the leaves contain a higher amount of calcium oxalate once the plant goes to seed.
Ouch! Had not idea about the danger. Many thanks for this. Did a search and calcium oxalate is not only scary but also present in other greens. Good to know where the bad guys hide.

I purchased some nettle from Small Pet Select for my little guy. He seems to like it. Based on what you just said Amethyst, I'm wondering about when it was harvested and if I should halt having it be a treat?

I purchased some nettle from Small Pet Select for my little guy. He seems to like it. Based on what you just said Amethyst, I'm wondering about when it was harvested and if I should halt having it be a treat?
You could always message them and ask. I would assume it's harvested early though, that company seems to know what they are doing when harvesting products. If they don't grow it themselves and instead get it from a supplier that grows the nettle for human it's also most likely going to be spring/summer nettle since that is when it's the best and most tasty for humans too.

Another thing to keep in mind is the amount you are feeding and how often, a small amount of even late summer/fall harvest is likely still ok if not fed daily. It looks like Small Pets Select suggests a tablespoon a day, that seems like a lot, it might be an ok for something bigger like a rabbit, but for chins I would give much less. I always rotated the treats I give, so they would only get nettle about once a week at most, a piece of leaf about the size of the tip of my finger, or about 1/8 of a teaspoon. Basically moderation is key when giving any treats, even "safe" treats can cause issues if given too much.

Thank you! I'll message them. I do rotate his treats too... Dandelion root, dried Rose hips, goji berries, oats, and some pumpkin snakers they make. Recently bought the nettle and their vita-licous flower blend. Tested little bits separately then didn't give him anything else for a couple days after each to make sure he digested them well. I'll let you know what they say.

Thank you! I'll message them. I do rotate his treats too... Dandelion root, dried Rose hips, goji berries, oats, and some pumpkin snakers they make. Recently bought the nettle and their vita-licous flower blend. Tested little bits separately then didn't give him anything else for a couple days after each to make sure he digested them well. I'll let you know what they say.
Ok, just so you know goji berries are best kept to one per month (it looks like they do mention that on the package (y)), they are lower in sugar then raisins but still pretty high in sugar. Also pumpkin can be useful for gut issues (constipation and diarrhea) and some people add a little bit into critical care to get them to eat it, but may not be the best choice as a regular treat.

Back