Side sleeping

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jane82

Came home today to one of my chins sleeping on his side - I panicked i thought he was dead - calle dhis name and he startled and woke up then started leaping around his cage then diving onto and shredding a new toy - so his energy levels are usual!! But ive never seen him sleep on his side before - should I be worried?

More often then not sleeping on their side simply means they are comfortable and feel safe. You can look to make sure the temp and humidity are good, since they can also lay on their side if they are over heating or unwell. Since he hopped right up and is acting normal he is likely fine, I'm pretty sure chins are masters at giving people heart attacks thinking they are dead.

More often then not sleeping on their side simply means they are comfortable and feel safe. You can look to make sure the temp and humidity are good, since they can also lay on their side if they are over heating or unwell. Since he hopped right up and is acting normal he is likely fine, I'm pretty sure chins are masters at giving people heart attacks thinking they are dead.
aww thank you I appreciate that - I've never seen him sleep on his side before so it freaked me out! Only had them since mid march so still becoming accustomed to them and their habits ect. He's eaten and has been out for playtime and doesnt seem unwell, between that and your comment I feel reassured now thank you 😌

Lol, I had a very similar experience not long after I got my chin. Came to check on her, found her sprawled out on her side, and nearly had a heart attack because she looked dead. Then she heard me and jumped up and came back to life. 😂

Now she's so comfortable with me that she often won't even get up. She'll just crack one eye open, see that it's me, and go right back to sleep. 🤣

Back