Really weird question my mom came up with today...

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
K

Kaycoocachoo

She was searching some information on Hedgehogs, because she is really intrigued by our new family members, and she came across this site that said that hedgies menstruate... I thought it was weird and was wondering if anyone has witnessed this, and if so, is it as bad as humans, or is it more close to like when dogs menstruate... Sorry for the weird question..... my mom is wondering about it... Thanks!

I've had my female hedgie for a year now and have not seen or noticed anything of the sort.

They do not have cycles like dogs/humans etc but instead ovulate only when a male is introduced.
So no, female hedgehogs do not menstruate and should never be bleeding :)
( except during birth )

Would mom happen to remember where she saw that information? Hedgehogs do not menstrual cycle like dogs or humans. If you should ever see blood coming from that area, seek a vet as soon as possible. As bleeding means that there is something wrong (bladder infection, uterine problem, etc).

...maybe it actually said masterbate? Just a thought...I know sometimes I read too fast!!

I don't know where my mom found this bit of information, I just found it weird, and thought I would see if I could get her more info...

Back