Mysterious Lump on chinchilla

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a recused chinchilla whom I believe is anywhere from 10-15 years old. I adopted her and her daughter 5 years ago. (The daughter is also 5) back in June I found a lump on my chinchilla under her arm above one of her nipples, Took her to a vet and they took a poke Biopsy. Over $500 all they said is that’s it’s shows signs of inflamed cells. No bacteria was found. They told me to monitor it as it seems okay. Mid October (over 2 weeks ago) I found it was discharging some liquid. It didn’t have an awful smell but still thought it could be infection. Brought her to a different vet who put her on antibiotics. The antibiotics hasn’t done anything and I brought her back. It occasionally bleeds (but not much) and oozes discharge mostly at night I think due to her moving around. They don’t know what it is and explained worries of putting her under for surgery due to her estimate older age. I am asking if anyone has had a similar situation. She is still eating, drinking, pooping normally and very active.

I haven't had a chinchilla with this issue, but I hope your little one feels better soon. It's great that you're taking such good care of her!

I have a recused chinchilla whom I believe is anywhere from 10-15 years old. I adopted her and her daughter 5 years ago. (The daughter is also 5) back in June I found a lump on my chinchilla under her arm above one of her nipples, Took her to a vet and they took a poke Biopsy. Over $500 all they said is that’s it’s shows signs of inflamed cells. No bacteria was found. They told me to monitor it as it seems okay. Mid October (over 2 weeks ago) I found it was discharging some liquid. It didn’t have an awful smell but still thought it could be infection. Brought her to a different vet who put her on antibiotics. The antibiotics hasn’t done anything and I brought her back. It occasionally bleeds (but not much) and oozes discharge mostly at night I think due to her moving around. They don’t know what it is and explained worries of putting her under for surgery due to her estimate older age. I am asking if anyone has had a similar situation. She is still eating, drinking, pooping normally and very active
I have a recused chinchilla whom I believe is anywhere from 10-15 years old. I adopted her and her daughter 5 years ago. (The daughter is also 5) back in June I found a lump on my chinchilla under her arm above one of her nipples, Took her to a vet and they took a poke Biopsy. Over $500 all they said is that’s it’s shows signs of inflamed cells. No bacteria was found. They told me to monitor it as it seems okay. Mid October (over 2 weeks ago) I found it was discharging some liquid. It didn’t have an awful smell but still thought it could be infection. Brought her to a different vet who put her on antibiotics. The antibiotics hasn’t done anything and I brought her back. It occasionally bleeds (but not much) and oozes discharge mostly at night I think due to her moving around. They don’t know what it is and explained worries of putting her under for surgery due to her estimate older age. I am asking if anyone has had a similar situation. She is still eating, drinking, pooping normally and very active.

A little update: she been normal been checking every night. Been the same every night but tonight. I check and there seems to be a hole where the mass is and some crusted blood. I can’t get her in until mid next week. I’m so worried about her. She’s still begging for treats, eating and drinking water.

Don't change the way you feed her. If she still wants to be active and is interested in food and water, that's a good sign till you get more answers. Maybe she developed a cyst? I know those can randomly develop puss and drain.

Don't change the way you feed her. If she still wants to be active and is interested in food and water, that's a good sign till you get more answers. Maybe she developed a cyst? I know those can randomly develop puss and drain.
I’m not changing her feed or anything as she seems to be acting normal! Just worried as the mass is different everyday.

I am updating and posting a photo of it. A warning as it does show a little bit of blood. I took her to the vet again from a limp/dragging foot from same side as mass. Not broken/sprained or any signs of injury. I’m guessing she pulled something as she’s older. 4 days laters she’s walking better!
But they checked the mass and said she is still very healthy and the mass is still a mystery. Not an abscess. Today there was a little bit of blood and a hole. The hold concerned me as I don’t want it infected. I did a saline wash and compressed it for about 5 minutes. Will do again twice a day. Thinking this is a cyst or tumor. Anyone have similar experience??

Attachments

• 867F5F84-A90A-4FAE-A0D6-E5E57D481327.jpeg
    867F5F84-A90A-4FAE-A0D6-E5E57D481327.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
Oh geez 😳
Not sure why no one else has responded. I've never seen anything like that before personally. How's she doing?
She’s still acting and behaving normal. Still has a decent size hole in the mass. Today mostly bloody :( Can’t get her in until the 8th so I am keeping it clean and giving her leftover antibiotics to try to make sure it doesn’t get Infected.

Back