Fungus

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
T

tskoffina

I have a fungal infection on my hand, and the Derm told me it probably came from one of the pets. He didn't seem to think it came from the Hedgies, but said they should probably go to the vet, be treated or something for it, before I should start handling them again. He seemed to think it was more likely the dog since she goes outside, but since it could come back he said to do all of my pets. Is there anything a vet could really do? Something I can do at home? Or does he just not know what he's talking about?

Do your hedgies have odd patchesof discolored skin? fur loss in any of the animals? I've only ever seen fungal infections in chins so I don't know what it looks like in hedgies. But there are both local and systemic medications for fungal infections. I suppose they could take hair follicles and test them for fungal spores since that's where it attacks.
The local medication I used with the chins was Conofite, systemic was sporanax or something? Intraconazole I believe?

There's nothing on them. The babies went to the vet a month ago for a check up and got a clean bill of health. I don't know if it would be possible for them to somehow be carriers or something.

What other pets do you have? Did he say you have ringworm, or a different type of fungus?

once when i first got daisy i got a weird skin infection on my hands and elbows, it was like little ichy red dots and my skin started to peel, my doctor thought maybe it was from my hedgie, but she wasint sure.

~Anna~

I posted in Chit Chat last night about my hand, with pics, but I don't think it anything like what you had. He didn't say it was ring worm, he said it didn't look like ring worm, actually. But he only had them do a biopsy since I have no insurance, and they couldn't know what kind of fungus without a culture. He still seemed surprised by the result.

Back