Early Quilling/Color of quills?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
E

EyeSack

Hey guys! I was wondering if this is early-quilling? Mika was losing quills the first day I brought her home. The breeder told me she's about 5-6 weeks, which is now 6-7 weeks. Here's a few pics.
This is of a few quills I saved:
IMG_1904.jpg

And here's a few closeups of her skin. I think I've found the reason why she's been so moody lately. I would be too if I had sharp quills poking through my skin! Ouch!!!

IMG_1895.jpg

newquillz.jpg

One more question. She seemed to be generic Algerian Brown when I got her, but seems she has a lot of white quills too. I'm not too keen on hedgie colors, so any input is appreciated. Here's a pic of her occasional white quills She also has lots of white ones on either side of her near her fur:

IMG_1902.jpg

I think maybe she's Algerian gray? I just hope her quillies stop hurting soon!

Most hedgehogs have an occasional white quill mixed in with the banded. It is when 30% or more are white that they become a snowflake. She isn't a snowflake at the moment but it is possible that she will quill into one, especially if there is snowflake in her lines.

This quilling is very likely her still 5-6 week quilling and she will go through another one which will be her final adult quilling. Their colour can change so much during these next few months.

Her skin looks a bit dry which is normal with quilling. A warm Aveeno oatmeal bath will help the dryness as well as make her feel better. If a bath stresses her, put her on a towel in the sink and pour the water over her. I put warm water in a bucket and dip from there. I find them being on a towel rather than in water is a less stressful way to bath.

Oh that sounds like a good idea with the towel! She REALLY hates the bath and immediately climbs up my hand when she's done, but she does seem a bit calmer afterward. I'll see if I can grab some Aveeno this weekend. I also put a humidifier in my room since wintertime both of us will probably have dry skin. Thanks for the help Nancy!

I think she looks so silly with her over-grown big quills and her tiny body! I hope she feels better soon...

Hi !

http://www.talesofmidgard.net/foro/uploads/1281323452/gallery_2117_5_314761.jpg

Hehe, he is Sam (Sorry for the link, but I posted Sam's pick there, if it dosent work, tell me) the pic is from yesterday

And he is been itchy, more often before than now... and I have seen his quills at the floor. How do I know when he has finish quilling? And how do I know if he has mites? He's cage have wood sawdust for pet but im thinking on changing his floor.

Thanks ! And sorry for using this thread for my question

What age is he?

Next time you have a question, post a new thread under the category you think is appropriate. There is a button inside of each category for new thread which allows you to do this. You can then title it with something relevant like "Quilling" so that we can help you faster. Thanks!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back