Chins & Hedgies

It is Central Time
Go Back   Chins & Hedgies > Chin Forums > Chin Diet & Nutrition
Register Chat FAQ Shop Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Chin Diet & Nutrition Anything to do with the diet or nutrition of a chinchilla - post it here!

Old 05-20-2009, 02:22 AM
EveningChin

Default Cuttlebone and salt licks

I've always wondered if it would be ok to give my girls a Cuttlebone as they are good for birds to chew, but was never sure about chinchillas. I just found a site saying they were a great source of calcium for chinchillas...

I bred rabbits growing up and they needed salt licks and really loved them, but it never really crossed my mind with my chinchilla girls. And again i found a site saying that chinchillas can have them.

Thoughts? comments? Advice?

I personally have no plans to ever buy a salt lick for my girls. The cuttlebone... maybe depending on what is said. If the responce is even iffy then no chance will I risk giving one. Thanks ahead of time.

p.s. Its really sad how much i missed this site and you all when I couldn't get on my computer for the past week.... Weird.
Old 05-20-2009, 04:36 AM United States
Poppy the mosaic squibbit

Chinchillas: 4+2

If your chinnies teeth are nice and orange, they don't need the extra calcium from the cuttle bone. Too much calcium can cause bladder stones.

As for the salt, I believe all the salt they need is in their food. I don't know anyone who gives their chinnies salt licks.

There is enough youth, how about a Fountain of Smart.
Old 05-20-2009, 09:05 AM United States
..has a fleece addiction

Chinchillas: 4

I agree with Carol, no on the cuttlebone. You risk having your chin get too much calcium which can lead to stones.

They don't need a salt lick either. Honestly when I first got my first chin I tried giving one to Chibi and she didn't even care for it.
Now on Facebook! Become a fan, the more I get the more specials I will post!
Old 05-20-2009, 10:00 AM
HaleyGoBoom

I've heard it can give them bladder stones, some sites say this is a rumor, but I'd trust the people on this site.
Old 05-20-2009, 10:04 AM United States
Barb

Chinchillas: 40 +

No for the salt licks - but I do have a mineral wheel (the brown ones) in each of my cages I use a shower curtain ring to hang - Sometimes they don't bother with it and sometimes they do. I change once a year
Old 05-20-2009, 10:39 AM United States
ZooKeeper

Chinchillas: 1

I did have a cuttle bone and a salt lick for my chin at first. My chin did like to chew on the cuttle bone but I found out it wasn't necessary for her to have if her teeth are healthy. She never did look at the salt lick.

"Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened." --Anatole France
Old 05-20-2009, 10:59 AM United States
Lovin' My Chins

Chinchillas: 3

I don't think either are really necessary for chins. Too much calcium, like said before, can lead to bladder stones. I wouldn't use either for my chins.
Old 05-20-2009, 01:14 PM
EveningChin

So pretty much what I thought. Thanks everyone! Bladder stones don't sound fun at all.
Old 05-20-2009, 01:31 PM
EnslavedByNinjas

When I first got Turbo, he came with a mineral wheel and salt wheel. Previous owner said she read somewhere that they needed it.

I did my own research and took them out... they didn't look like Turbo cared for them either which way, and everyone else's chins seem to do fine without them!
Old 05-20-2009, 10:49 PM United States
The Chinchilla Lady

Chinchillas: 100+

You only need cuttlebone if your chin is lacking in calcium.

A big NO to salt and mineral wheels. The salt is not necessary and mineral wheels can cause bladder stones. Just as with excess calcium, the minerals are excess and the body can not expel the extra and it can accumulate and cause stones.
Visit 'Our Store' for Organic Herb & Grain Fusion, Critical Care, Hide-Aways, Toys and other chinchilla goodies!
www.ForeverFeistyChinchilla.org