Alone for 2 days

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lisse

Hello,
I am having a stressful situation at the moment. Next year I am going to college and I would go home in the weekends (a 45 minute train ride) from friday or saturday morning until sunday afternoon. But I since my chin would be living with me, I am struggeling to figure out what to do, should I take him home with me in the weekends where he would also have a big cage or should I provide everything he needs for those days and leave him at my place there. Can anyone help me out?

I would absolutely not leave him alone for two days. You could lose power, he could run out of water, etc. Even if there is a smaller cage at home, that's only for a few days but he's supervised and safe.

Then I would have to transport him 2 times a week every week, would this be okay for him. And how can I make that trip as comfortable as possible?

totally agree with Tunes! I personally have/love the fold down cage from here and I love it https://qualitycage.com/collections/chinchilla-products/products/chinchilla-collapsible-travel-home! A little pricey but wonderful. I've used it so many times for quarantine, travel and overnites for many of my chins. It's plenty big enough for a shelf and a one chin size wooden house(my husband makes them too big). I just pop the cage up put a fleece piece in and set the cage top back on the pan. The cage is held to the pan with strong springs and hooks. It opens from front door or the top of cage lifts up. You can put shelf in and add the house and a toy with plenty of space to run. Best investment next to FN cage and small metal chin carrier that I've made with 9 boy chins!

There's a lady on here who owns/runs a garage and she takes her chins with her to work every day - has for as long as I've known her. They have cages at home, cages at the garage. Works just fine.

Make sure you have a chin safe carrier, put some hay in it, maybe a chew stick, and off you go! Biggest thing is that the vehicle you are in is cool enough when it needs to be.

Ah thanks I was really worried about it, because everywhere it says that transporting chinchillas is really stressful for them so I was wondering what would be the best for Zico. Thank you for all your quick responses!

I say get a friend that can check in on him. That’s a lot of traveling for one little chin, added stress on you and him. I cannot imagine how well a chinchilla would do on a hot, loud, crowded train. I say he’d be ok for a night away give him new toys that he can play with a lot of hay and water. Not sure about yours but mine would not go through all of their water in 2 days. Really depends on your chin though I have two I know one would probably be fine with traveling but I know for sure one would hate it.

Back