Overheating worries

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gimlichin

I have had my new little guy for about a week and I know I am over worrying most of the time. Tonight however, after a good play session, I've noticed his ears a brighter red than I'm used to seeing. They're usually a soft pink color. It's about 70 degrees in the house and he has a marble slab in his cage but he won't use it. Is there anything else I can do? I tried to take some pics but they aren't that great.

Attachments

• IMG_2044.jpg
    157 bytes · Views: 24
  • IMG_2045.jpg
    157 bytes · Views: 24
attachments dont really work on this site. You have to host them else where and then insert/link to them.

If your worried about over heating then i would start with reducing the play time for the chin. Its not something they need. But they can exert themselves a good bit out there. Which can throw there blood sugar levels off, increase internal heat, and add fatigue to them. Combined with how hot its been lately could be enough to over do it depending on the chin.
How long is he out for?

If the chin is white, their ears can get red even in 68 degrees and they are asleep. If the chin is young, play should be limited because they can play till they pass out. In my experience chins can deal with 80-85 degrees as long as they are kept quiet, they are not happy by any means but they also are not being compromised medically.

Back