Fleece bedding? Advice/Suggestions?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zuleyma

Hi everyone, so as a new chin owner i would like to know what you guys think about fleece bedding? Is it better than regular bedding? I'm currently using care fresh bedding but its very messy and I've heard Fleece is much easier to deal with cleaning wise. If someone could tell me the pros and cons of fleece bedding that would be great. Also if you could give me the basic run down that would help as well. One reason i want to switch is that its easier to clean which is good because I'm a bit of a clean freak so I'm constantly cleaning his ledges but i cant do that for the bottom for its bedding.

Now if i do switch to fleece bedding should i buy fleece specifically made to be used as bedding or would a fleece blanket from the store do? And more importantly fleece might make my life easier but what about my chin? Ive had him for week and he is 8 months, do chins prefer fleece?

I'm a new chin owner so THANKS a million for anyone's help!!! I m going to be bombarding the forums in the coming weeks so thanks and sorry in advance!!:)

Ok to start you want anti-pill or blizzard fleece, blankets work if you can get them cheap, but generally fabric is cheaper. There are several people in the vendor section of this forum that make cage liners, if you want to make your own there is a DIY http://chins-n-hedgies.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15265.
From what I've found the pros...
-Easy to clean, you just vacuum the poop off everyday and throw it in the wash a couple times a week.
-It's soft on their feet and comfy, think rug to lay,walk, and sleep on.
-You can decorate the cage based on season/holiday with different design fleece
-I find it's easier to keep an eye on the poops (abnormal poop or lack of poops normally means a problem) since they aren't mixed in with bedding.
-Better if your chinchilla gets hurt, no bedding sticking in the wounds

Cons...
-Some people find that fleece smells more do to getting peed on, it's absorbent but not odor removing.
-Some chinchillas chew on it, in which case you have to remove it.
-You really have to clean it more frequently then with shavings or other bedding
-You still end up with poops getting pushed out of the cage unless you make a poop guard around the cage
-Can be pricy to start with, and you really need at least 2 sets, but you wont be buying bedding anymore.
-Hay sticks to it like crazy, as does wood shavings if you use it to litter train (some chins can be trained to pee in a litter box)

That's just what I can think of off hand, I'm sure others might be able to add more input.

I used Care fresh bedding too because i was told its good bedding and i liked the look of it better too then i read if your chin eats it you have to remove it mine started eating eat so i put down fleece on the shelves i put a pan in and put aspen shavings in there on the bottom of the cage because he only goes in one spot when he pees and i put a tile down under it just in case..i do like the fleece a whole lot and its so much easier on his feet and it looks nice too

I don't have any method of washing fleece on a regular basis, but i imagine it would be quite useful. But you might have to remove it if your chin is a fleece chewer/eater. I personaly have some chins that are, and some that are not.

i recently switched to fleece after using carefresh as well.
i was skeptical at first because i didn't like the idea of my chin soiling fleece cause it seems messier than soiling bedding. until i read about potty training chins. it's been about a week since i switched and my chin has gotten the hang of using the pan with bedding to do his business. if you do make the decision to switch, you'll need no-pill fleece (it won't get those tiny fuzz balls after being washed) and about 3 or more sets. depending on how messy your chin is, and often you want to do chin laundry. i keep 3 sets on hand and change out the fleece every 3 days. i also dust it off outside every morning when i wake up. when it comes to washing, any detergent is safe for the fleece however like humans, chins can have allergic reactions to things, so keep an eye out for that although it is highly unlikely your chin will have an allergic reaction to the laundry soap. when it comes time to dry DO NOT use fabric softener or a dryer sheet because it will take away the absorbency of the fleece and your chin's pee will sit at the top of the material instead of soaking in. and lastly, your chin may chew on it for several minutes when first introduced to the fleece, but once he or she realizes they can't tear it up or damage it, they usually leave it alone and thats the end of it. however if the chewing of the fleece doesn't stop then you will have to remove it and switch back to bedding.

pros:
cage has a more "homey" look.
you can change the fleece to correspond with current holidays
neater than bedding
a softer flooring for your chin
your chinchilla won't be tempted to eat the fleece, like bedding.
cheaper than buying bedding

cons:
you'll have to do more laundry if you cannot potty train your chin.
fleece doesn't eliminate odors like bedding
food sticks to it.

I discovered I hate the smell of Carefresh so after this package is used up, I'm going to switch to fleece liners as well.

Back