Sugar Glider and Chinchillà

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
K

Kiddo

I have a question...
A sugar glider and a chinchillà can live together without problems?
And can they stay in the same cage?
They share the same need or not?
Thanks for help! :)

They do not have the same needs and require completely different care. They can absolutely NOT be in the same cage together.

Oh, ok...
And can they stay together with supervisory of a person?

I would not put them together at all. What would be the benefit? And I can see lots of complications. And their food requirements are vastly different. A sugar glider cannot eat chinnie pellets and a chinnie cannot eat insects and fruits like a sugar glider needs. Please, keep them seperate.

I only have this question; don't worry!!!
I don't have a Chincillà and I don't have a Sugar Glider.
It's only an information for me... Because I see that Chins is friendly with some other animals and Sugar Glider needs company.
In the end, if I will have them, I will keep them separate if it's for the best! ;)
Above all now that I know that!

If you don't want two sugar gliders, YOU can be the company for one sugar glider. I know of people who spend a lot of time with their sugar gliders and both animal and human benefit. Otherwise I would recommend two sugar gliders.

Because I see that Chins is friendly with some other animals
Chins should really not be interacting with any other animals, there is a lot of misinformation on the internet about many species :)).

Absolutely not! They have completely different needs - sugar gliders need heat, chinchillas need cool - sugar gliders eat lots of sugary and high protein foods, and chins eat hay and pellets and that's it. The sugar and high protein can cause severe problems with their digestive systems.

Also, I would be concerned that suggies might attack chinnies.

There is no way a chinchilla and a sugar glider could really live together, as everyone else has mentioned. They require different temperatures, different cages, feeds, attention, etc. On top of that, I'm fairly certain a chinchilla would attack a sugar glider. One day I was cleaning chin cages and I had one of my sugar gliders escape out of their bonding pouch I had on (little bugger somehow broke the zipper from the inside) and jumped inside one of my chinchilla cages (due to the bar spacing) and my chin went right after it, but thankfully I was there to intervene, otherwise I'd be one unhappy camper. Of course, I suggest reading up a bit more on both animals.

Also a lot of people forget that some people (not so much here in the the US) feed their gliders baby chicks/small mice/small birds occasionally to feed on. I can't even imagine what a baby chinchilla would look like to a glider. :eek:

Also a lot of people forget that some people (not so much here in the the US) feed their gliders baby chicks/small mice/small birds occasionally to feed on. I can't even imagine what a baby chinchilla would look like to a glider. :eek:

Very very true. I personally don't feed mine anything other than mealworms and crickets, but I've had a lot of breeders I've spoken to who said that some gliders cannibalize their babies because they feed them baby chicks.

I have fed pinkie mice to my expecting mothers as it helps boost their protein.

I have to agree with the rest of the people, gliders & chinchillas will NOT mix. Pretty much any different species shouldnt be put together.

I would say no way too. Totally different needs.

Baby mice fed to gliders? Ewwwww....I was justs tarting to research gliders and think about getting some, but there's no way I could feed live animals to other live animals.
I had bearded dragons for a while, and was ok with that. Rodents, I can't kill, bugs NO PROBLEM :)

Could you do a warmed up frozen pinky? That's what I used to feed my pacman frog (among a lot of other insects). I know in reptiles you don't necessarily HAVE to go with live food.

As everyone else said... no. But you can have both. I had gliders in the upstairs where it is warm and the chinnies in the basement where it is cool. Wash well in between handleing them and never let them together. I think a glider would attack a chinchilla, I had one jump out while I was putting food in the cage and it attacked the cat. I broke it up quickly but from what I could tell the glider would have won the fight.

Chins and gliders are very different animals. They require different food and temps. I would keep them well away from eachother. Please do more research before you get either animal!

Back